MIL Should I try to be an Air Force or Navy pilot?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AustinL911, Jun 3, 2005.

?

Chair Force or Navy?

1. Chair Force

54.5%
  2. Navy

45.5%
  1. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Any of you guys have an opinion as to what's better. I figured I'd ask the masses before I threw it in the barracks.

Some things about me. My vision is damn near perfect, for now.

I have allergies. These are the only things that I can see that might DQ me, from what I have read.

Opinions?

2. WiKiD

WiKiD U MAD?

Navy

The Blue Angels- American's fav waste of tax money

3. drakk0r

drakk0r New Member

It depends on what you wanna fly, and what kind of flying you wanna do... And your chances depend on how good a student you are, and who you know get get you a slot (if your not in the top 0.1% of the applicants)

4. AustinL911

Fighter jets. I dream of flying the F-22 when it's put into full service, but that probably won't happen. I'd settle for an f-16, 18, or any other upcoming jets that might be replacing those.

I'm a damn good student when I put some effort into it. I'm thinking of going the ROTC route, but I'm not sure yet.

I also keep hearing about people waiting for 'slots' a lot.

What exactly is a 'slot'? Do they only have a certain number of spots open for pilots or something?

I guess another question of mine is, who has the better pilots?

5. drakk0r

drakk0r New Member

Yes.. There are only so many pilots needed, and about 90% of the AF, and about 60% of the Navy are wannabe pilots.. (not exact numbers, but you get my point..) So you have to fight all the other applicants for a pilot slot. Usually you need to have an excellent resume and a connection to help get you a slot... Although things might be easier now with all these deployments going on.. Recruiting is down quite a bit this year...

6. AustinL911

Well, I've wasted 2 years in college searching for what I've wanted to do, to no avail. I finally decided to major in commercial aviation and enroll in the ROTC program (I think that's what I want to do) starting next year. But, I'm not sure whether I want to do ROTC or OTS.

7. TankRizzo

TankRizzo Sensational Moderator Super Moderator

If you shoot for the JSF it won't really matter :o

8. drakk0r

drakk0r New Member

Apply for the AF academy.. They have a pilot program.. Kind of a fast lane to getting your wings if you're lucky enough to qualify..

9. AustinL911

Also, from a site I was reading, it appeared to me that you went through an undergraduate training for 1 year, and then were selected (99% based on AF needs, 1% your preference) for 1 of 3 types of aircraft. After that, you trained for those TYPES of aircraft, and then again, are selected (99% based on AF needs, 1% based on your preference) to a certain, specific aircraft.

I don't want to get stuck flying a damn cargo plane for 10 years. If I read the site right, they assign you based on, education, leadership, your academic scores for the tests, and your flight time/ability. So, the way I figure it, If I do a kickass job for durning the next 4 years of college, and that year+ of training, I should have a pretty good chance of getting what I want? Or is my thinking waaaaaay off?

I figured I'd go get my pilots license this summer and start flying as much as possible to get some hours in, which will hopefully increase my chances of getting what I want (which is a lot, I know).

10. drakk0r

drakk0r New Member

Be at the top of your class and you might get to choose what you fly.. And dont be so quick to dismiss cargo planes.. A C-130 would be fun as hell to fly.. And when you re-enter the civillian world, you have a chance at getting a real (100k+/year) job flying airliners...

11. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

easy 100k+year flying jobs -- those days went out the window with 9-11

sure, those guys with 20 years with an airline are making that much, but hell. Jobs are hard to comeby.

my father, with 20+ years commerical experience, and 26 years of flying in the Air Force, got laid off from USAirways - he had 15 yrs experience. Even with all his flight time and experience, it still took him a couple years to land another solid flying job. He now flies for JetBlue. Not making nearly what he used to make, but it puts food on the table.

12. AustinL911

That was kind of my thinking, when I thought about commercial aviation. My hopes were that IF i would ever decide to leave the military, I could fall back on the commercial pilot thing. Assuming that's not extremely difficult to achieve, as well.

13. AustinL911

Another question. What do you do while you're waiting for a slot to open? How long does this usually take? Also, why do you have to wait for a slot to open? wouldn't they just put you in whatever they feel like?