GUN Should I trade my Kimber for this Colt?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by KIDRR, Aug 28, 2009.

1. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

colt xse1980 for kimber ultra cdp II straight across. Should the guy with the Colt put some cash up on his end? He says the Colt has ~100 rounds through it and my Kimber has ~80 rounds through it. I'd definitely put the original grips back on :ugh:. I just never shoot the Kimber and want a full size 1911.

The other option is to trade the Kimber + $800 for a Thunder Ranch Special in like new condition.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Yea he should put some cash up Kimber Ultra CDP II are around 1130 now and the colt around 930

3. sp00n155

sp00n155 You underestimate the insignificance of my penis OT Supporter

See about getting an extra 100 bucks or a couple boxes of ammo or something added.

Sweet punisher grips :rofl:

4. Aero277

Aero277 OT Supporter

Grips made me :rofl::rofl:

5. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

I got rid of my uc2 for a fullsize not too long ago :o don't regret it at all.

6. sprite

sprite Active Member

I'm sure I'll catch hell from the 1911 crew but...

When I am running 1911 shooters at USPSA matches the ones that run flawlessly for the entire match are invariably either A) Old Springfields, or B) Old Colts.

Personally I would trade an not look back. Obviously if you can feel the guy out for some extra's then do it, but I don't think it would be a bad trade if you did it straight up.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  7. Not to give you hell or anything, but while I had my Spartan I shot about 2k rounds through it in competition, and other than me not inserting the magazine all the way a few times during a reload I never had a problem with it.

8. sprite

sprite Active Member

Uh, yeah, I would definitely trade away a Kimber for a Spartan too. (I honestly don't see that many STI single stacks at Comps though. )

9. AB13

AB13 New Member

Yeah, not a big fan of any Series 2 Kimbers. I'd do it but have him throw some coin up on it.

10. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

dont know enough about 1911s to make a decision one way or another but i have heard that colts are pretty good :dunno:

11. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

If that were one of the new Combat Elite models from Colt, I'd probably say go for it. Colts are solid performers in the 1911 world, and the OEM 7rd hybrid-feed-lip mags are probably the most reliable controlled round feed mags available for the 1911, except a few other CheckMate Industries mags. CMI is also the OEM supplier of mags to Colt, btw. (for 1911s).
    Honestly, since it's one of the less-fancy XSE models, you probably should be looking for a little cash, some extra mags, maybe some ammo, in addition to the pistol, but if a straight trade is the best available deal, it's not bad, really. As long as it's one of the well-mmade Colts and not when they were having all their CNC machining's teething problems a couple years ago, you'll be fine.
    IMO, go for it if you want it, it'll be a solid performer and if you want to switch out for a better beavertail, everyone makes them sized and radiused for Colt frames, so it'll be easy and not real expensive to find and get installed.

12. KIDRR

Thanks for the advice guys, obviously my 1911 knowledge is pretty low. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something totally stupid.

13. KIDRR

Ok I got another offer, it's a Original Colt Government Combat Model 70. Go for this one instead? ~300 rounds through it

[​IMG]

14. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

70 series are preferred over the 80 series.

15. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i'd go with the model 70

16. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Still would want him to add money to the deal.

GI-ish 1911's aren' that much fun to shoot IMO. I like big sights, a beavertail, and extended safeties at the least.

17. itchiban

itchiban New Member

I've heard this before, but why? Is it mechanical?

18. KIDRR

How much $$$?

19. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

I'm not exactly an expert, but the Series 80 adds a firing pin safety with a trigger-actuated lever, whereas the original Series 70 just added a finger collet "accurizer" bushing and thickened barrel at the muzzle. Colt dropped the S70 bushing a while ago, so the current crop of S70 Colts are actually pretty much just 1911(A1) pistols.

IMO, go for the Series 70 over the XSE, but see if the guy will toss in $300 or so along with the pistol. Frankly I haven't had a problem with GI-style 1911s as far as shooting ergonomics, but I can see how one might.
    FWIW the series 70 pictured already has decent sights(at least they're better than the GI types), so getting a 'smith to add a better safety and maybe a beavertail-style grip safety would be pretty simple and relatively inexpensive.