A&P Should I trade my Canon G9 for a Nikon D70s (body only)?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by AllDay AllNight, Feb 23, 2009.

1. AllDay AllNight

AllDay AllNight All right, I gotta know. What the hell does "kree" OT Supporter

So I found a guy on CL who's looking to swap his D70s body (plus battery, charger, and comparable memory card) for my Canon G9.

I'm definitely not a photographer, but I have a lot of fun shooting with my brother's D60 and while I do like the G9, I prefer the feel and on-the-fly adjustments I can make with a proper DSLR. Plus, this way I can share my brother's lenses and stop bugging him to use camera.

So, two questions:

1) Is it an even trade? Or is the D70s too old to consider?

2) What kinds of things should I be looking for when inspecting a used body? I asked him about the # of actuations, how he used it etc etc, but any other pointers would be nice.

If it makes any difference at all, I plan on pairing it with the nifty fifty lens (50mm f/1.8 I think?) that my brother also has and I enjoyed using, or the new Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G (http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/af/dx/af-s_dx_35mmf_18g/index.htm)

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated, thanks guys.

2. AllDay AllNight

3. pl_silverado

pl_silverado OT Supporter

i would, as long as the body is in good shape. find out how many actuations.

I saw D70's on ebay go for $250-$300. How much are G9's going for now?

4. AllDay AllNight

I'll ask about the actuations. Anything else I should be looking out for?

And I'm looking around more at the used prices of each to see if I'm getting an even deal, but honestly I'd rather have a DSLR.

I'm just wondering if you guys could help me look for telltale signs of problems with buying a used body or similar stuff. Also, I know the D70s is a couple years older, are the ergonomics and menu system a problem at all?

Input plz :x:

5. xconverge

xconverge OT Supporter

I recently sold my d70 with vert grip and a few batteries for 265. It was used and old but in good condition. Its a great camera and is still extremely capable