SRS Should i teach abroad after graduation?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 17%, Apr 4, 2008.

1. 17%

17% New Member

i'm at a loss as to what to do when i complete college. my peer adviser told me she was goign to teach abroad when she was finished.

It seems like a good idea, but i won't be getting paid too much and the program i looked into, i actually have to pay for a contract... it'd be equal to a four months salary over there.

anybody who has taught abroad want to give me any input?

(just to mention, i'm new to over seas teaching- i would normally think i would not have to pay for the contract... maybe i might have just read it wrong)

2. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

My friend has done it for 2 years over in Asia. Best years of his life he says.

3. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

i have known a few people who have done this and loved it. one guy stayed in europe teaching for 5 years he was so happy with it.

i dont know any details about it, but they said it was the experience of a lifetime. just for that, i would go for it if i was you

where are you looking at going?

4. 17%

17% New Member

hey, irvine. i go to uci :)

i'm looking into going to asia, anywhere besides japan.

5. 17%

17% New Member

do you know how he got into the program?

there is an orientation for the study abroad program at my school, the lady said there should be info about the teaching abroad program too...

6. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

i graduated from there 4 years ago....damn that makes me feel old :hs:

my future mother in law actually works in the extension office at uci and was debating doing the teaching abroad as well. she seemed to get a ton of info from uci, but im not sure where exactly, and she was looking at costa rica.

do you speak any other language already? i think they wanted her to take a class before she went to help with the language

7. 17%

17% New Member

i don't speak anything fluently, so i'll just go with no. most likely though, if i were to be dropped off there, i would be able to communicate just enough to find food and buy things. finding a place on the other hand...

8. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

haha, i dont think they drop you off and expect you to figure it out. from what i hear, the programs are pretty complete and organized. i think they have places for you to stay. they might want you to take a basic language class, but no matter what, surrounding yourself with the new langauage for a year, you will figure it out. my brother was in spain for 3 months and came back speaking fluently because he had to.

im jealous you have the guts and the good sense to do this right out of college. i would love to do something like this, but i wasnt daring enough when i graduated, and now i have bills and other things keeping me here. this is the best time of your life to take a trip like this.

9. 17%

17% New Member

thanks, i was having doubts. i probably can just pay back my loans right after school is over and just leave. i have to take a class most likely to prep for it.

10. Zot

Zot OT Supporter

I don't mean to thread jack, but I have a similar question as well(and I'm currently an UCI undergrad also hahahaha!)

How much would teaching abroad for a year or two help for med. school/pharm. school application?

11. 17%

17% New Member

zotzot!

i don't think teaching abroad will help any. teaching abroad is a IOP-non study program. it might help you if you were using a IOP or an EOP program instead. I have no idea though.

12. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

it technically probably wouldnt help, but its going to look good that you took a break between degrees and went and did something like this. dont they want you to have some work experience after undergrad?

13. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I had a friend that just up and left for China. He knew 1 person there that spoke the language. Claimed it was the best time of his life but as I questioned him more and more, I realized it wasn't a life that I was even remotely interested in.

Not only that, his traveling stories seem all exotic and cool but really, it's just life with different surroundings. Also, after I got used to all the cool stories about it, out came the not so cool stories. Stories of losing track of his friend that spoke the langauge, stories of him, while drunk, misplacing his passport and return plane ticket and his the terror that he'd be imprisoned in a foreign land where he didn't speak the language.

I've learned to not be swayed by all the cool stories....there's more to the experience than that.

14. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

I'd love to do it, but I'm a geek and a sociologist at heart.

problem is, I'd love to get my pay in China.. fuck I'd live like a king :wtc:

my boy lives in Hong Kong... pay there sucks and the place is so fucking expensive....

15. DubOverdose

DubOverdose New Member

What company are you looking at this through? I've been invited to apply through Allestra Recruiting on my college's job website, but it seems shady. Both China and South Korea are the places offered.

16. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

What are your values in these areas?

For some, it is a great opportunity. For others, it was a lamentable waste of time.

No one can tell you what you desire, however it is easy to trick yourself into thinking what you really want.

17. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

your pay in korea should be at least double than in China when converted to USD, just an FYI.

And they should pay for housing in both places.. got a couple funny stories about the "school housing" in China....

18. LBFilmGuy

LBFilmGuy LOL why u mad tho?

I know a girl who in taught in Italy for a few years and she hates it here now lol...

I say do it :coold: