Should I take salary or hourly payment?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Blindsight, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

I've never been paid to write software before, but recently a friend's father has offered to pay me to develop some software for him. I'm in college so I definitely need cash and I will be eager to accept the work from him.

I'm interested to hear if anyone can recommend salaried or hourly payment. I don't really know the details of the software yet other than he mentioned something about "helping people communicate" and "database" and "needs to run fast"... :dunno:

Thanks for any help :big grin:

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

well, i don't see how you can be salary unless he's actually hiring you on full time. Typically you'll bid for the job "a set amount of money" based on how many hours you think it will take you to develop. And when the job is done, you will get paid that amount no matter if it took you more or less time that you estimated.

3. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

Most contract people that I know of are salary, with a certain % up front, a good percentage over the course of the project, and the rest on completion.

We also have a couple that are hourly, and they're raping us on hours that they're logging as working on the project. They make way more than the salaried :o

4. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

Thanks for the input.

Would anyone recommend asking for royalties? Is that usually part of the package when you do work like this?

5. momoarrowz

momoarrowz New Member

imo salary is the best, i would rather get paid $65,000 a year then $35 an hour because you dont always work full hours, and most times you dont get benefits

6. SLED

problem is that this sounds like a small contract project. He probably won't get offered salary unless they hire him on full time for development.

7. SLED

really depends on the software. Is it an application they are going to sell to consumers?

8. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I prefer hourly. Chances are your guess on hours to complete the job will be off, esp if you've never done this before. You'll want to get paid those extra hours and for any others when they email you asking for upgrades. :o Also, I've noticed they don't feel as bad when paying someone hourly. They don't notice how much money they are paying out. Giving somebody 10k all at once for a job doesn't have quite the same effect.

9. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

This isn't even a "they" situation :hs:

It's my friend's father, but he is very well off (he's a doctor, but now works for the FAA) and generous enough to pay me well. I'm assuming he will try to market it to consumers, but just how he does that and how successful it will be, I have no idea.

He won't expect me to work 65, 40, or even 30 hours per week. I have another job which my parents are forcing me to keep (even though it pays hardly anything) so in that sense I wouldn't truely be "salaried" but if I were to accept that form of payment, yes, it would be a lump sum.

The whole problem is that I feel really guilty about taking that much money (regardless of salary/hourly) from someone, you know? I sort of feel like I'm not worth it, even though he thinks I am :hs:

10. SLED

fuck it man, if he thinks you're worth a decently hourly rate, then go with it. What kind of app is this going to be? And if he is going to market it, then i would definately ask about royalties (granted you might have to take a small pay cut for this privilege) But you just need to make sure you sit down and talk with him about the whole deal, and get it in WRITING. I would definately go hourly. It's more fair for the both of you.

11. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I wouldn't go after royalties, but I would try to retain the licensing/source code so that he's dependant on you.

12. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

This is why all of the assholes who can't program, I mean our contractors :o, get paid hourly :p