Should I stretch in the early morning?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by NomaN, Aug 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NomaN

NomaN Guest

I usually wake up and run around 5am.

I was wondering if I should bother to stretch, or should I just warm up and go at it?

I stretch in the afternoon. I have great flexibility. I can do the splits. Can I skip the stretch in the morning?

Any one that has an opinion please let me know.

Thanks.

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

i've always been taught to not stretch when cold... i'd say do a 5-10 minute stretch after you morning run and again when you are warmed up in the afternoon (post workout) all of my team trainers (high school and college) have said the same shit... we are our most flexible when warmed up and stretching during the cool down is perfect

3. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

The typical stretch will last for up to 48 hours. Stretching twice really isn't going to make a huge difference. Stretching cold is a bad idea. Hold for at least 10 seconds. :)

Also this doesn't have to be a natural warm up, it could be after taking a warm shower or whatever (although you may want to be a bit more careful).

4. joy division

joy division New Member

flexibility is what you can do when you get up. I'm flexible enough to reach my arm up and grab the shampoo in the morning, I should be able to touch my toes. Go for it- you will feel nice and limber for the rest of the day...you shouldn't be doing dynamics or anything like that, just regular relaxed stretching.

5. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

stretch in the morning and before bed if you like... just stretch. :)

6. WPInerd

WPInerd New Member

i think that it depends on the person...personally i stretch in the morning, cos my body won't feel right when i lift right after. If you can warm up and then lift without stretching, i say go for it.

7. NomaN

NomaN Guest

I am more worried about pulling a muscle. And if the stretch last 48 hours this is all I am worried about.

Where did you hear that it lasts 48 hours?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.