Should I stop working out legs?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Accord, Aug 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Accord

Accord New Member

I'm trying to get serious about running, but I feel my leg days are holding me back. On long runs my legs feel extremely heavy, and I want endurance. I have a lot of explosive power from doing heavy leg days every week, I can easily run 1 mile in under 5:30, but I feel like my heavy leg days are hurting my endurance runs.

You guys will probably think i'm crazy, but if pure endurance running is my ultimate goal, should I stop working out legs completely, or alter my leg workouts so i'm not going as heavy, or what?

2. NeilsDman

NeilsDman New Member

If you're trying to get serious about long-distance running get ready to start loosing weight other than in your legs. Distances such as 6-8 miles take their toll. Theres no reason to work your legs out for running, they will take care of themselves as long as you actually DO run. My only advice to you is stretch, stretch, stretch. I did cross country my first 2 years in highschool and so all i say is to not half-ass your pre-run stretches

3. Mojo

Mojo New Member

alter leg workouts and train them specifically for strength:dunno:

4. Elfling

Elfling New Member

When I'm heavy into the distance running, I don't quit lifting; but I drop back to 2 full-body sessions weekly, keep it basic, and keep it around 5 reps, but not at 5x5 weights, something a little lighter. You *will* have to lighten up the lifting load. I dropped deads out of my routine altogether, and bench, because they were pointless. I kept some upper body training because that strength does help especially in the last miles of a race.

Don't lift the day before your weekly long run; and if you're not eating tons more carbs than before, start now. I drop protein back to 1g/lb rather than 1.5.

5. ACslater

ACslater Good ol F&N

All muscles need oxygen, not just yourt legs. Your endurance will most likely suffer if you have alot of muscle on your body. Unless you can figure out a more efficient way to get blood to your muscles, you will probably be better off if you stop lifting to build muscle.

6. Accord

Accord New Member

Can't do that... I need the upper body strength for pullups.

7. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

its easier for a light, less muscular person to do pullups, than for a heavy very muscular person to do pullups

8. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

A lot of the distance runners are really skinny not only because there allways in a calorie defecit, but also because excess muscle hurts endurance, as stated previously. Same thing goes for swimming, theres no way I can swim a 500 competatively due to my muscle mass, your need to be a skinny bitch to do that. Thats why Im a sprinter and I swim 50s and 100s instead. :cool:

This same thing can be seen in the olympics, all the distance runners are skinny and if you look at the sprinters, there all swole.

9. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Yup, QFT. That's why I'm reconsidering my distance running..don't feel like losing tons of mass to get better at it.

10. NeilsDman

NeilsDman New Member

Track > Cross Country FTW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.