A&P Should I return my Sony Alpha A100 for a Canon Rebel XTi?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by N8, Sep 14, 2006.

1. N8

N8 This fucking guy.

I've had a LOT of people give me the :wtf: look when I told them I picked up the Alpha instead of waiting for the XTi.

The reviews of the Alpha certainly aren't bad, but I get the impression that people consider the Rebel series the de facto standard for digital SLR's. I really like the image stabilization built into the camera, as it works quite well. The only weakness that this camera has that I can see is in regards to noise levels at ISO 800 and above.

Your thoughts? Are the naysayers misinformed or Canon sackriders? Or are they right? :noes:

2. Blair

Blair New Member

i am a nikon user. after spending a few minutes with the alpha in a sony store i was totally turned off by both the build quality and controls.

3. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

lens choice would be my deciding factor

4. Airpoppoff

Airpoppoff Vodka > Racing F1

5. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

why? I've sat with the d70 and the Alpha right next to each other at the store the other day, and I was actually impressed with it's build quality.

I also liked the controls, but I own other Minolta bodies.

N8 - Everything i've read points to the Alpha being a solid piece of equipment. If you like it, there's no reason to wait for the Canon.

6. N8

N8 This fucking guy.

See, I don't understand what the big gripe is the build quality. It certainly seems no worse to my untrained eye than the other competitors. (I haven't had a 400D in my hands yet, but I did have a 350D) I also find the grip to be pretty comfortable. :dunno:

Are Canon lenses and Minolta lenses more or less the same in terms of cost for comparable quality? Sony only seems to be coming out with high end/high dollar Carl Zeiss lenses. :noes:

7. N8

N8 This fucking guy.

In what sense? Availability? Price?

8. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

9. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

assortment to choose from

10. N8

N8 This fucking guy.

If the colors are off with a soft image, how could you recommend the D80 over the Alpha? :confused:

What is the dealbreaker with the Alpha that turns you away?

11. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

So, let me get this straight...you want to trade in your camera just to fit in with the crowd?

Sounds like maybe you should just return it outright.

12. 00soul

00soul halfsharkalligatorhalfman

one command dial

13. Derrict

look at the grain of the noise at 800 and 1600. it's ridiculous.

here's some shots from my 20D yesterday when I was taking pics of the two bodies I'm selling. iso 1600

[​IMG]

I took the circular polarizer off and shot at iso 800

[​IMG]

You have to look very hard to see any noise on the iso 800 shot. On the 1600, you can see a little bit around the rear lcd.

14. pelf

pelf The Juice Was Worth The Squeeze

15. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

1600 in bright light and at night are two completely different shots. Give us a 100x crop of a night shot at 1600, and let's compare that.

Not that I'm saying I expect a much different result, but if we're going to compare, lets go apples to apples...

The CCD in the d80 and the Alpha are identical. If you're recommending the d80 on the basis of image quality, you're also recommending the alpha. Do some research.

In all honesty, i've been shooting film for 8 years, 3 professional. I've used iso 800 AND 1600 films a combined total of maybe 10 times. 8 of those were experimental ideas and school projects. The other two were just for fun.

There's really no need to be shooting that high in every day situations.

From 400 down, the CCD competes with everything else out there, Zeiss is going to be making the lenses, the build quality arguments carry absolutly NO weight, and although I understand the 'one dial' thing, if its your first DSLR, or you're a previous Minolta user, it's a non issue.

Not to mention that DCresource AND DPreview both list it as Highly Recommended.

I think a lot of people just hate it because it's not a Nikon or Canon. Give it to an unbiased pro, and I'd be willing to be there's no drop off in image quality.

16. Derrict

I was looking at the high iso shots of the bottles and packages and not the nightscape shot (link above). If you want high iso shots with even lower light I can take them but why should I bother proving something that is already a known fact; it's just a waste of my time.

what iso people shoot in all depends what they shoot. I spend half my time shooting iso 400-1600 and occasionally 3200. 80% of the shots I took this past weekend were iso 800 or 1600.

17. N8

N8 This fucking guy.

Whoa there, easy now.

I was just throwing the question out there to folks who are more knowledgable than me. People like to shit on the Alpha, and I wanted to know why. I thought maybe there was something I was missing, but after reading the replies i'm thinking that's not the case.

18. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

after shooting with the alpha, I didn't feel it had the ability to do what I wanted it to do. im not defining that now, but as a personal preference the alpha lacked a lot. if I remember correctly, a lot of its features and controls are in menus and not in buttons on the camera...i don't remember because I instantly put it down and walked away. im not sure what mount the alpha uses but I do prefer nikon glass, hence why i have a d70.

19. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

If the camera does what you want it to do and you are happy with the images, why would you give a shit what other people think/say?

The Sony is a fine camera and the people here that say otherwise are just brand sackriders. I love the "get a D80, it's better. ZOMG! look @ Sony noise!!!" Both cameras use the same sensor, the difference is in the noise control performed in the camera. If you look at the high ISO comparison someone posted a link to earlier, you'll notice that yeah, the Nikon has less noise, but it's also is so soft from noise reduction that it looks out of focus.

Yeah, great camera. :ugh:

All the sub $1000 DSLRs are basically the same damn thing, and in the hands of a competent photographer any of them will giv you a great image. Only idiots think the brand of camera will make their photos better, unfortunately OT seems to be full of idiots.

20. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

hmm the D80 can take a grip..suddenly its looking very attractive as an upgrade from the D70..since im on a budget and my D70 is worrying me

21. OMG Nikon and Canon Crew UNITE!!!!!!!!!! :bowrofl:

22. Airpoppoff

Airpoppoff Vodka > Racing F1

[FONT=Verdana,] [​IMG][/FONT]

23. Blair

Blair New Member

this could be art & photography history in the making

24. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Image processor is different in D80 and in Alpha, so IQ ends up being different.