should i return my laptop?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mar10, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Mar10

Mar10 New Member

i got this hp ze4400 a couple days ago and its been alright so far, but im worried cause when i check the processor speed its never constant, at first it would say 1.05 GHz and then sometimes it says 1.79 ( the speed advertised was 1.67). So was thinking of taking it back and getting this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1058188744647&skuId=5812944&type=product&cmp= but the only thing but im not sure if the celeron processor will be worse than the amd 2200+ , any ideas?

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I am guessing it is the speed stepping that is varying the processor mhz. That is actualy a feature of the laptop to save battery life.

3. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

I have a ZE4145 and it does the same thing. Never had a real problem though as far as the speed goes.

4. Mar10

Mar10 New Member

do you think the viao is any better

5. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

I've been extremely pleased with my laptop, period.
    Although if want a little better performace, reinstall winXP with an OEM disk, and install the ze4000 series driver package from HP. You'll lose almost most of the pre-loaded programs, but you'll get all the Vid card and touchpad tools back.

EDIT: you can still use the CD key on the bottom of the laptop if you are installing WinXP home from an OEM disk.

6. Syrinx1976

Syrinx1976 Guest

Hp Sucks Get A Mac!!!

7. madriver

madriver so yea. . .

As Rob98ZJ said, it is probably the speedstep technology that newer laptops have. If you want, you should be able to disable it in the BIOS (I know that you can on Dell Laptops as well as IBM Laptops), also I think this can be done in the Control Panel on certain machines. However if you do disable it, you will most likely see your battery performance decrease as well.