Should I replace my shitty boombox front speakers with these?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FyreDaug, Sep 5, 2006.

1. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

These are older pics but they suffice

shitty front speakers
    [​IMG]
    (the sub is actually being used as a sub and is independantly powered and crossed over and actually sounds good) but the fronts are lacking with the 2.5" mid and the tweeter.

rear speakers: [​IMG] these rears would be removed from the picture and the fronts will take their place... They arent really that bad and would be good for rear fill, but for a front stage Id like them replaced.

car audio component set (I would build a proper box for these)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They are 4ohm speakers and would by powered off my yamaha rxv450 reciever. 90watts/channel good for 150.

It would be a step up right? Properly crossed over component set vs boombox front speakers
    (Id hate to move the subs to the back, they sound so much better coming from the stage)

2. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

However, all I really need in the rears is a proper cross over between tweet and mid. And the rears just dont have a working tweeter because the boombox it came from had a high/low input. So its using the "super woofer" 3" speaker and the 2" in the bottom as just straight sound. Each of these boxes have 3 speakers in them. I really wanna somehow keep the subs up front (they are hooked up to an amp, which gets its RCA signal from sub out from the reciever)

I dunno what to do with shitty speakers. My center is a B&W and a very good speaker

EDIT: Or what about removing the sub from that box and mount the 5.25 cone for the component set in that spot. Seal off the port on top and mount the new tweeter there. Then build custom little boxes for the subs and place them to each side of the tv

3. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

With that mix of components, I don't think your system is going to sound too hot no matter how you arrange things.

4. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

You better also make sure your final ohm rating is within your receivers capabilities or you wont be listening for very long. Why not just save your money and buy true hometheater speakers?

5. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Because I live in an apartment and I cant turn it up anyways. I know its no killer system, but ive got functional 5.1 anyways. All impedance is within spec. I can 4ohm on the fronts, 6 on the rear. 6 on center (but im using a 4ohm anyways) Its been good for about a year now.

Ive decided not to change anything. Those 5.25's will go in the rear of my next car, my MBQ PCE series will be upfront as usual. Ill leave all this home theater shit alone