Should I opt for a wireless router with Speedbooster?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Hua, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

Or is that just a overrated type of thing to charge you more money on?

I was looking at the Linksys WRT54GS

and the Linksys WRT54G

It's a $20 price difference, just wondering if it's worth it. I know that to take advantage of Speedbooster, you have to have a wireless card that is SB enabled. My laptop doesn't have that, so it's probably pointless to pay the extra $20.

Just seeing if anyone has an opinion.

Thanks. :wavey:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

wont help you at all.

and I suggest you not consider Linksys products. Expensive, slow, and unreliable in my experience.

3. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Speedbooster works if all your equipment is setup to use it otherwise its a waste of money.

Thats where my agreement with jollyogre stops... I suggest Linksys to most my clients/friends/families and I have to run into any issues that could not be fixed with firmware or proper installation.

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Actually, your internet probably isn't nearly fast enough to use all of the bandwidth of even regular 802.11G, so it won't make a bit of difference except for transferring files over your internal network.

I have a WRT54G and it's a great router. In our house, we use it to connect a printer and a server (via ethernet), two desktops with Linksys WMP54G wireless cards in them, and two laptops with Airport cards in them. It all works great.

5. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

If all you're doing is going online, doing some gaming and downloading, unless you're got one hell of a house line speedboost is useless. If you're doing massive filesharing on your lan then that's a different story and you should go for it.

6. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

I don't plan on doing any file sharing. At most all it will be used for is to do some updates on the laptop at home, and to use in the garage when I am working on the car and need to look stuff up.

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Just to add, I have all Linksys products in my home network. Wirless router, wired router, NIC's, wirless NIC's, Music System, Storage Link and they all work flawlessly. Not a single problem with anything.

I'd definitely recommend Linksys to anyone.