SRS should I move out of my parent's house or not?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by black jesus, Dec 27, 2005.

1. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

I'm almost 25, just finished school, and for another 11 months I have a very good job. I owe $6,000 to credit cards, and by living with the crazy parents I allocate about $200 per month more to those, as opposed to my own place.

However, my student loans are all fucked and I have to pay $956 per month, which has not started yet.

I'm a fucking mental wreck. I feel like I am 16 years old again, and really don't want to fucking live here. However, I'm in financial purgatory, and don't really deserve the opportunity to enjoy life because I've fucked up financially. I fucking hate this shit, and don't even care about my credit anymore, but am still hanging on.

Do you guys have any tips? I make $2000 per month, and aside from student loans I can expect to pay $1400 monthly for living expenses. I still have to make headway on credit cards, then consider paying my student loans. I feel so fucked.

I need what will make me psychologically healthy. Right now I am not doing well with women, and I hate going home every night after the gym to hide in the office and fuck arround on ot. My life quickly found alot of spare time, and I don't have a chance to enjoy it.

2. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

oh, thanks so much for the responses. I know reading in this forum can be a total mindfuck for anything longer than 10 minutes.

3. PFC Lowell

PFC Lowell Velox et Mortifer

I would offer you help but I am an absolute dumbfuck when it comes to economical situations. :(
    Maybe you should ask your parents for help?

4. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

What happens after 11 months?
    Moving out right now doesn't sound very wise honestly.
    Can you move in with roomates or someone to share the bills with?

5. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

They don't do that. I pay them $400 per month in rent.

6. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

My job is only funded for one year (thanks to shitty congress and dhs). A friend wants me to move into a house he's getting in feb. He's offered to back me if need be, but I don't want welfare. All I care about right now is eliminating this credit card debt. If that were gone, my life would be a breeze.

7. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Would it really be a wise financial move to move out on your own then?
    I can completely understand wanting to be 'independent' and all, but if you can't afford it, your job isn't secure etc. how 'independent' will you truly be?
    Why not sit down and talk to your parents about your financial situation?

8. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

They don't care, and its not thier job. Imagine if you were 58 years old, just bought a $70k SUV, and were $72k in credit card debt. You propably wouldn't want to pay for your children either.

My mother is really fucking crazy. She flips out and if she doesn't break shit arround the house, she screams and cries. My sister hasn't spoken to her in years. We had an argument the other day because I didn't compliment her new car. They really need therapy. Its a real bummer to live with disfunctional people.

If I can't find a job in a year, I can always score work bartending again, though it does suck.

9. z31maniac

z31maniac *insert witty remark*

How in the fuck are your student loan payments gonna be $1k a month?

Are you a doctor/lawyer?

I maxed out my undergrad loans, 23k, so when I have to start paying in July, my payment will be around $115.

Have you looked into getting your loans consolidated?

10. johan

johan Active Member

You have to pay almost $1K/month to service your student loan debt?
    How much in loans did you take out?

That seems to be an enormous amount, given that you're expecting to get employment that pays only $2K/month. What kind of program did you take? Or did you not graduate?

Your choices seem to be:

1) continue living with your parents and save every last bit of money you can and get out of debt.

2) get whatever job you can, whatever it may pay, and move out and try and make it on your own.
    Life will be harder, material comfort will not come easily, but you will decide your own fate, and you will not have to answer to anyone.

Option 1 trades a little material comfort for self-determination.
    Option 2 is the reverse.

I would take Option 2 (I did so in my own life), and you have the satisfaction of living the truth that YOU are the master of your destiny. All that you have, all that you are, is what you create with your own two hands.

It is the better option (in my opinion). If you're strong enough.

PS. Talk to your financial institution about your student loan repayment schedule. They are not meant to be so onerous.

50% of your monthly takehome to service a student loan debt is not realistic. Show them your income, and see if they can adjust it down to a more manageable 15%.

11. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I *hope I am not going to have to pay for my child after she graduates college, but if need be I would.
    BTW- they don't sound like they have the best financial plan either going on ;)

12. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

I am working with two companies. I owe a total of $44k (two degrees) and ACS will not fucking listen to me. They refuse to give me a realistic payment schedule. They have my earning statements, they know how much they make, but they refuse to change the pay schedule. I don't know what to do now. Its fucking rediculous.

I want to relax. I want to be able to get laid again...at my house. I miss living alone like I did in college, but living with a friend is the next best thing. I just want to fucking relax, and not get yelled at like a 16 year old child.

13. z31maniac

z31maniac *insert witty remark*

There are numerous companies that will consolidate your loans at a lower interest rate and on diff pay scales.

Did you borrow from the Feds or from a private company?

14. scaryice

scaryice New Member

If you have to pay to live with your parents, then you should probably leave just for your sanity.

15. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

both fed and private. However, not all companies buy just any loan. I can't seem to get one company to buy all the loans.

16. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

Thats what I was thinking. I'll end up paying out $200 more per month, and not get yelled at like a child by phsychologically unstable parents. There is a reason my sister has not spoken to my mother, father, and step father in 3 years.

17. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

thanks for the help. Any info on how I get get companies to actually work with me to get realistic pay schedules? I just want to get this all with one company, but apparently thats a difficult thing to do.

18. johan

johan Active Member

You got two degrees, and you're expecting to only make around $2k/month?
    What were your degrees in?

19. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

emergency management and geography. Consider the current national emergency management industry conditions, I'm just happy to score a temporary job. $2k per month is $31k per year after taxes.

20. $600 rent for a single guy if you move out? What the hell?

21. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

Thats what it looks like in Dallas.

22. HoodRich

HoodRich Professional Street Nigga OT Supporter

if i were you i'd grab a 4 hour a week pizza delivery job on the side, work 1 day and easily make up the extra 200 bucks a month you need, and keep my sanity.

23. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

If you have so much spare time then you should get a 2nd job.

24. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

I can't. I have to keep my availability for fema, and stay in the gym.