SRS Should i move or not...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by momoarrowz, Jun 15, 2009.

1. momoarrowz

momoarrowz New Member

OT i could use some advice. I suffer from anxiety and when i have conflict it becomes pretty bad, to the point where i nearly get sick. Heres the story.

I currently rent the top half of a house...

One day i carpooled with a guy from work and told him to leave his truck in my driveway. Fiance' comes home early that day and sees the truck in the driveway and panics. She calls the landlord because she thought it was his fathers (he has a white truck as well). Landlord calls tenant downstairs (whos a airport cop), and due to the telephone game, the guy downstairs calls the police then proceeds to come home.

Everything works out, Fiance' tells police its a big mistake etc. I get home from work and the tenant is in the driveway. I proceed to say how it was a big misunderstanding and as i start to apologize he starts giving me attitude saying how hes upset and starts raising his voice. So me being defensive, i lash back out at him and basically slam the door in his face.

So then the landlord gets involved, he said she said game starts. Meanwhile we have been in this house nearly 3 years and the new tenants down stairs have been here 7 months.

They are pretty inconsiderate (mind you they are in their mid 40s - no kids), they blast the TV at 12-1am, have a "meat smoker" under the only window in my livingroom, have parties on holidays till 2-3am. Overall pretty rude.

We dont complain to the landlord because we dont want to start trouble, so we suck it up usually. But after the tenant lashed out at me, i aired the "dirty laundry".

Now there is alot of tension, we look to avoid eachother, when they see me comming they run, and i try to avoid them as much as possible. But everytime i see or hear or think of them, my gut wrenches and i literally get so angry i get sick.. I assume this is due to anxiety. I want nothing to do with them and i literally hate them.. Yes hate is a strong word, but when something gets me sick over it, those are the feelings i tend to have.

My options are as follows. Move into a nice condo, with amenities i dont have such as a washer/dryer/dishwasher/central air. This would be nice and give me alot of things i dont have include peace and quiet. The problem is, condos like that are 1850 a month + utils. My current rent is 1000 + utils.

My fiance' and i are pretty well off, we are in the combined $150Kish range, and can easily afford this new apartment, however it will cut into our get a house fund which is already tight due to us having to pay for more then half of our wedding in cash. (about 23k out of pocket). That on top of car payments etc... you get the drift.

So my question is, based on the circumstances. Do i stay, try to save up as much cash as possible which then i can purchase a house in 1-2 years however deal with the anxiety which can be bad at times. Or do i move to a condo and get instant satisfaction, and move the house purchase out to 3-5 years.

I am pretty torn on the decision, and most of my friends say just stay, but i dont think they suffer like i do. I seriously dwell on problems at no fault but my own... But i cant help it.

Please let me know what you think, i hope it wasnt TL;DR :(

Thanks OT!

Edit: I am 28yrs old

2. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

dont count on this happening 100% :eek3:

3. momoarrowz

momoarrowz New Member

You are right, i could have terrible neighbors there too. The only thing im counting on is soundproofing that a normal house doesnt have.

4. planeh

planeh Guest

Im' confused.

why were the cops called?

there is nothing worse than dealing with another tenant like that, you don't need to be unhappy and stressed at home. I suggest you move, find something in your price range and move, now.

5. Daria

Daria New Member

Definitely move. It is normal to have anger toward lousy co-renters. However, this is anger you don't need. You don't necessarily need to get a condo. Stay until you can find another rental unit in your price range, but make this a priority.

I have had co-renters who have caused me alot of stress in the past. Money doesn't matter so much as piece of mind.