GUN Should I make this trade? v. Sig and 1911

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by phoenixTX, Jan 8, 2010.

1. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

I have a potential trade offer, but I'm not sure if I should do it.

I have an excellent condition Sig P220R Carry with four mags (all Sig nickel, two 7rd, two 8rd), extra Sig rough texture grips, and a Sig factory parts kit with all springs and pins.

[​IMG]

I've been offered a really nice SA MilSpec 1911. He's including the SA holster and mag carrier, 3 SA mags (rebuilt with Wilson springs/followers), 5 new Colt factory mags, 2 blue ACT mags, 3 stainless 'range mags', and 50 rounds of Winchester JHPs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I REALLY like this Sig, but I've sold or traded my last two 1911's and would really like to have another. My SA milspec GI was one that I traded and actually regret it. This would be a great start to a nice 1911. This wouldn't be a carry gun or gaming gun... just a nice shooter for punching paper.

The only thing that bothers me about the Sig is that it is an internal extractor model. While I've never had a single problem with it, there are documented issues of the extractor failing and needing to be replaced. The old German stamped steel slides had external extractors, but when they started making the new Stainless slides in Exeter they changed to internal. They have since changed back to external (without admitting that there is a problem of course).

So, WMD crew ... good trade or not? :noes:

2. johnson

johnson New Member

Keep the SIG and shoot it.

3. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Be sure to post when you have problems with that extractor, I'll be holding my breath.

4. sp00n155

sp00n155 You underestimate the insignificance of my penis OT Supporter

Keep the Sig unless hes throwing in a good chunk of money with that SA. SA 1911s are everywhere and retail for ~300$ less than Sigs.

5. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

The potential extractor issue is about the only reason I'm considering this. The gun has performed flawlessly and I probably don't shoot it enough to wear out the extractor (I've heard stories of it needing to be replaced every 5000-10,000 rds and TopGunSupply sells it for $50)

He is including 13 mags. I figure the new Colt mags are $20 a piece and $10 a piece for the rest. That definitely sweetens the deal.

I like my Sigs though... even if this one were gone I still have a P226 and P6/P225 and I'm looking to pick up a P228 as soon as I find the right one :x:

6. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

if you were sick of the sig or didn't like it i'd do the trade

since it sounds like you like the sig i'd keep it, sure 13 mags are worth some bucks for the 1911 but i guess i don't see a ton of need for 13 mags so i'd just keep a gun i liked and since you like the sig i'd keep the sig.

7. no7fish

no7fish New Member

I would say if you want a 1911 then by all means go get a 1911, but i wouldn't put yourself out of a perfectly good Sig just to have one.

8. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

They're both nice guns. But in 6 months when you've got the 1911, you're probably going to make a thread about how much you miss your Sig.

I wouldn't give up one I like to get another one, unless I wanted the new one a lot more. Just buy a 1911, IMO. :dunno:

9. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

This.

10. pimpofthenation

pimpofthenation OT Supporter

Keep the Sig

I :love: my P220ST

11. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

If his 1911 was worth more than your Sig, he wouldn't be offering to trade.

12. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

I don't see your logic. He wants a Sig (he's actually looking for a P220, P226, or P228 ... of which I have two, but not willing to give up my P226) and he's trying to trade something of value of his to get said Sig.

I'd be expecting his gun plus cash/extras for my more expensive gun. That's common sense and he's obviously in agreement. Just as though I was trading my P220 for perhaps a Les Baer or Dan Wesson, I would expect to give my gun and cash for the nicer gun.

Either way, I didn't make the trade... more than anything just because I would have to drop a few hundred dollars on that 1911 to make it shoot as well as my Sig does now. If it was at least a Springfield Loaded or a 'semi-custom' from any of the reputable shops, then I'd probably have worked something out.