MMA Should I join? v.judo/bjj

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by saabguy, Sep 30, 2008.

1. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

So i've been actively following MMA for about the last year and a half...my friend bought the UFC 68 card and I've been hooked ever since. i've never been in a fight, but i really like watching the different fighting styles/skills/etc. i used to work out some in college but stopped, pretty much don't do any exercise now (unless you count walking 18 holes :mamoru: ), but i've always been pretty athletic. i went to the little store in town this weekend to get some sugar/eggs for the wife, and saw a poster for judo/bjj classes near-by. www.uppervalleyjudo.org

i thought it might be fun to try out, but considering i am most likely NOT going to be doing a lot of running/strength training/etc. because i don't really give a shit, is it worth joining? like, if the instructor says "you're doing well, but lifting 3X per week would really help," would i "offend" him if i didn't do anything outside of the class and just showed up on Sundays?

:dunno:

2. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Most people just do it for fun, I highly doubt the instructor will get on your case for not lifting/running/etc...

Judo/BJJ is a great base for MMA. But if you are interested in ever competing I would suggest finding a wrestling coach.

3. Kenny Dalglish

Kenny Dalglish New Member

there's a ton of people in my gym that do not do any weight lifting or anything besides some running on the side.. most of the people are adult professionals who do not have time to dedicate more time than 3-5 hours a week

4. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

Try it!

5. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

:rofl: at me competing

6. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

Just do it. Training will condition your body at the same time. There's no use trying to get your body "ready"; no gym work is going to prepare you for active sparring or techniques anyway. You'll just have to suck it up and struggle for a while. It's fun though!

7. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

You'll fit in great. Don't worry about lifting or competing. Most people go for fun. If you get to a point where you want to compete, so be it.

Just go and enjoy it. It's a good time and good workout. You'll meet some good people (and some douches like me)

8. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

If a girl can do it, you for sure can. :dunno:

9. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

there is no room for sexism in this forum. knock it off.

10. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

anyone check out the site? seem legit/reasonable?

11. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Where do you live? $130/month is a LITTLE steep for only having the option of 4 classes per week. But if you live in a major city like LA/NYC/Miami then sometimes it's just due to the cost of living.

The advice everyone gives all of the time is to go to ALL of the gyms in your realistic area and take ONE class. I think after one class at all of the gyms in your area, you'll find which one fits you best.

12. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

po-dunk town. no traffic lights yet, but we did get a dunkin' donuts about 2 years ago :coolugh:

i think the $130 covers 3 months; i'd probably only do the bjj which is $100 for 3 months. 1 day a week is really all the time i'd have/want to put into it :dunno:

13. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

yeah the only way to know if it's right for you is to go check it out. make sure the instruction fits you and the environment and training partners feel like somewhere you'd like to train.

14. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

i guess i'd have to get a cup in case someone accidentally overeem's me :o

15. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Oh. So it's the only school around and it's $130/3 months? Awesome. Do it. That's dirty cheap.

Sign up for the full thing. $130/3 is good and you'll want to do the judo too. Sign up for all of them.

And yes, get a cup. Sylva @ Title can set you up. I went in and had him give me a "cup fitting".

16. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

werd to that. do both.