LGBT Should I goto this conference? *Serious, kinda long*

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by bioyuki, Sep 7, 2005.

1. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

Like I would never want to goto 'Gay XXXXX' or whatever but I got an email about this today and I'm actually really interested both from a professional/networking perspective as well as just meeting people in the same position as me:

October 7-8, 2005 in New York, NY: The 2005 Out for Undergraduate Business Conference is a high-impact recruiting pipeline for highly qualified lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender undergraduate students into investment banking and management consulting. The program will include speakers and panels designed to expose students to practical business frameworks and analyses, polish resume/interview skills and network with GLBT professionals and students from other schools. Presenters will include consultants and bankers from sponsoring companies and prominent GLBT community leaders. In addition to the pre-professional activities on the schedule, there will be plenty of time to relax and meet new friends during the conference’s social activities.

The event is geared to the best students at top-tier U.S. colleges and universities, with the aim of increasing the number of talented gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people in business.

http://www.outforbusiness.com

The first Out for Undergraduate Business Conference was held last fall at Cornell University. Seventy-six undergraduate students from the following 22 schools attended:

Bates
    Boston University
    Brandeis
    Brown
    Colgate
    Columbia
    Cornell
    Dartmouth
    Duke
    Georgetown
    Harvard
    NYU
    Princeton
    Stanford
    UC Berkeley
    University of Florida
    University of Michigan
    University of New Hampshire
    University of North Carolina
    University of Pennsylvania
    Washington University in St. Louis
    Williams

So what do you think, should I do it? They give scholarships but I dunno if I'll be able to get one and my friend from NYU is studying at LSE this year so I'll have to hotel it. The companies that will be there are top notch (Bain, Lehman Bros, two thirds of MGM, BCG, Citi, etc.) but I dunno how much acutal networking will go on and how useful it'll be. Is this something worth the time and the money? :dunno:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2005
  2. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

couldn't hurt. :dunno:

3. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

Well no shit it couldn't hurt if I was in the area I'd def. go but as of now plane tickets are like 400 bucks and I need to find somewhere to stay...

4. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

Well think about it like this. Assume that you're not going to get any networking done and that there's no chance in hell you're getting one of those scholarships. If after that you still think that the experience, and the potentially valuable words if wisdom you may hear, are going to be worth the cost, then go. If not, then don't :o

Imma go watch some more Prison Break now :o

5. sholnay

sholnay New Member

I'd sure as heck try hard to go. sounds awesome.

wentworth dahling... where are you..... :naughty:

6. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

:rofl: you are such a lovesick fag

7. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

I have a friend that goes to cornell for business. I say go, and sex him. If he bothers going to this of course.