Should I go VW?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by mcents717, Aug 2, 2008.

1. mcents717

mcents717 New Member

Hey ot, I don't subscribe so I am not gonna expect the nicest answers, but its all good.

I was set on purchasing a 2004 subaru forester 2.5x (non turbo), for my daily/winter car.
    Until

My dad informed me that my uncle's mother in law is selling her 2001 Passat 1.8t tiptronic with 15,000 miles! for in the 7k range.

I love VW and their products, but I always hear reliability complaints.
    should i be okay with only 15,000 miles?

tthanks!

2. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

!!! That b5 is GEM, I thought my 01 had low miles (56); that car is like fucking factory fresh. I'd risk it, that 7k is a good deal, too. Mine has not had huge reliability issues, and seriously, that car has an average of TWO thousand per year. Two. It should give years of trouble free operation/

3. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

If you take care of them, they will take care of you. Do the maintenance and don't slack on it and it will be fine. :) I'm on my second VW. just traded my 02 Jetta 1.8T for an 06 Jetta 2.0T :coold:

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

No, you shouldn't...or if you do, make damn sure to keep on top of the rubber parts. I might even just replace all the hoses and CV joint boots with silicone the day I buy the car.

If I remember correctly, the VR6 engine has a timing chain instead of a timing belt, and that's definitely worth the money if you're willing to sacrifice a few MPGs.