Should I give Windows 7 to the regular users?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Chris, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

Most of the PCs in my office are 3-4 years old and obviously running XP. We have started (and by started, I mean bought 1 new PC) replacing the old PCs. But due to office politics the first new PC is going to a 50+ year old woman that is probably one of the least computer literate. The PC came with 7 on it, but Im wondering if I should just install XP on it since thats what shes used to. Keep in mind hers will be the only machine running 7 in the office, besides mine, and it will be that way until at least March.

I had told myself that we were going to migrate to 7 when we got new PCs, but now one whiny person has me reconsidering my plan.

2. 7960

7960 New Member

give old people what they're used to!!

do not make your 50 year old your first test candidate for win7, if for no other reason than not having to go to her desk every day to point out "where they moved that program" she used to use every day........... and $5 says it's solitaire or some other game

3. Fase

Fase Your Face, In A Pickle Jar.

I'm in the process of deploying Win 7 in the office with Office 2007 from our existing XP and Office 2003.

Wish me luck...

4. Chris

Chris New Member

what kind of hardware are you using?

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

We're waiting for critical mass of new ones. Our GPO's aren't 100% compatible and we're not running W2K8.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Rule 1 of rolling out new versions of Windows: wait until Service Pack 1.

7. blinger

blinger Guest

8. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Except that MS is now shipping SP1 as the RC for a lot of their products :rofl:

9. Fase

Dell Vostro 430

Has i5 750, 3GB DDR3, 200 GB HD, Some Radeon video card.

10. Krazy

Krazy OT Supporter

lol

win7 pro edition doesn't even install solitare by default

11. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I have one Win7 user. One of our mechanical engineers who does a fair bit of rendering. His work really demanded a 64 bit platform and he has been using Win 7 since the first beta so I didn't have to train him.

12. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

let her use xp until she retires or quit her job

13. Fase

Actually so far now it's been a few days and no one has had any real difficulty. It's only ~8 people using it so far, but zero problems. I did however give a 30 minute tutorial to them all before I deployed it.

14. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

This is a terrible rule.

By definition, a well developed piece of software isn't going to need a ton of patching. And since Service Packs are just patch collections, the better the product is, the longer it's going to take for a service pack to be released.

15. caddymac

caddymac New Member

16. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

We went with XP this rollout period. Mostly because moving to Win7 requires some major changes on our backend. We run Novell and use their ZEN products so ... we've got 2 years before the next lease refresh cycle so ...

17. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It's actually a great rule, because no product the size of Windows, no matter how well-developed, can be thoroughly tested before release. The reason patches are released on a regular basis isn't because Windows is a piece of shit, it's because the sheer number of interactions between components is so large that it's much more feasible to fix problems that users actually stumble across than to spend decades testing every single possible source of errors.

18. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Our ERP system isn't compatible with win 7. It will run in xp mode vm but its a hassle to get set up. For the near future I only plan on rolling it out to a few users that don't need access to the ERP system.

19. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

No. It's an awful rule, and always has been.

The real rule is "Test it to see if it fits your needs properly"

The differences between Vista and 7 are not huge, glaring, and massive. Vista has been ready on a business level for quite some time now, and it isn't as if the Vista -> 7 jump is anywhere near as large as the XP -> Vista jump.

There are always going to be software compatibility issues. You still run into shops running NT because some program they use won't work on anything newer. If your app is stuck on XP, then your app is stuck on XP. You can wait until it gets ported, or you can find a different app. But that has little to do with the OS, Service Pack, or anything but the app developers.

The wait until SP1 rule is dogmatic and stupid, and excuses responsibility from the sysadmin. Find out if it works for your organization, if it makes sense to move to it, and what are the pros and cons. It's perfectly possible that the pros will outweigh the cons long before a service pack is released, making it a smart choice to move before that point.

Say a lifecycle was expiring for your companies desktops back in December. Now, since 7 isn't in SP1, and Vista has so much (unwarranted) hate, should they go with XP, again, at the very start of their, say, 5 year lifecycle? With an OS that's already 8 years old? That's effectively going to force your IT team to do an upgrade on the entire desktop infrastructure at some point.

If it works in a stable manner, all of your necessary apps support it, and it saves you quite a bit of work in the future, WHY would you wait for SP1?