SRS Should I give up driving?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by masa, May 29, 2007.

1. masa

masa New Member

So I've been in a total of three accidents in my first year of getting insurance and my license. Two of these three just happened today, yeah that's right I got into two in the same day. I was tired and had to go pick up someone. I accidentally pulled out too close to another car and scratched their rear bumper. This wasn't a big deal because I did the same thing before in my first accident. Still I was shocked that I did it again. Apparently so shocked that, when I had dropped off the person I was suppose to pick up, I rear ended a park car. Somewhat noticeable dent on that person's car. I was freaked out. Two accidents on the same day? How dumb could I be? I did the only thing I could think of at the moment, step on the gas and run. Got scolded by my parents bad for the first accident of the day. I'm going to try and keep the second one a secret. However, I've been in close calls before, almost ran over a person, almost drove into another moving car, almost rammed head on into another parked car. I'm thinking I should just stop driving. It's been nothing but trouble so far. :wtc:

2. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

Well, it might not be the worst idea to lay off the driving a bit and take a few driving classes again. But I wouldn't say you should give up completely. :dunno:

3. SpectraRedZ

SpectraRedZ New Member

Take some driving courses. Two in one day, and driving while tired isnt too good. I dont think it was right to hit the gas and run though. Take responsibility for your actions.

4. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

It seems like you just need to pay attention. Turn off the cell phone, no music, and only drive when you are awake and alert.

I know I begin to drive like shit if I have been driving to long or if I am just plain tired.

5. DvBoard

DvBoard New Member

Pay attention. Remember it's better to leave more space than not enough. Also you sure as hell don't sound like you need another person in the car right now.

Also never hit and run. Anyone saw you and reported it, now you'd be really screwed. Plus it's generally being a crappy person mean it or not, you just fucked up someone elses day because you can't take responsibility for your actions.

Although the more i think about it, it may be a good idea for you to hang up the keys.

6. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

take some classes and jus take it easy dont drive when ur soooo tired or distracted its not worth the damage or u or som 1 else's life

7. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Well you shouldn't stop driving, but you should stop stepping behind the steering wheel while you are in a altered state of mind. So no more going behind the steering wheel while your (drunk,tired, (god forbid) taken drugs,or certain medicines) that would make you Poca Do Loca behind the steering wheel, ok. So keep a clear mind while you are driving. It should be ok from there.

8. masa

masa New Member

Yeah thanks for the responses, I'll take a break and get some lessons. Oh I went back to the car that I hit and ran from. I apologized profusely and got scolded a bit by that man. Told my parents and got scolded some more. I got an estimate and it turns out it's going to be a pretty hefty amount of money. Looks like I have to use all that money from my part time to pay off damages and then do more.

9. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Welll just pay your dues, and forget about it. Be glad it was only materialistical damage, you can replace materials, but not human beings. Drive safe.

10. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

11. Spike2k

Spike2k New Member

how old are you, out of curiousity??

12. Nyctrias

Nyctrias If I can't be my own...I'd feel better dead.

Doesn't your insurance (minus deductibles) cover it? :dunno:

13. masa

masa New Member

I'm male and both parties decided that we would deal with it without notifying the insurance companies. Good thing on my part since I don't have to have my rates heightened.

14. DvBoard

DvBoard New Member

How old? Have you ever played any driving video games?

15. American SuperBeast

American SuperBeast New Member

yea definitely take driving lessons
    your not the only one tho
    when i first started driving i drove straight into a tree, i forgot the brakes were there,and it wasnt even my truck (oops)
    then i took some lessons and thas about it, got better, just takes time

16. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

Drive in a parking lot and with an experienced driver until you feel comfortable enough to drive alone. Then by yourself do short trips and avoid highways, and slowly increase the distances of each trip and eventually try out highways when you get use to moving at 55 to 80mph.

17. autobahn

autobahn New Member

please quit driving on the roads and take some lessons.

not just for our sake, but for your own. you probably won't be able to afford insurance for your car on your own anyways now.

18. zonedoubt

zonedoubt New Member

There's really a lot to look at and pay attention to while you're driving, and it's pretty much impossible to process all that info at once. Eventually your brain sorts out what info is necessary for driving and what isn't, and it becomes semi-automatic. Some people are naturally better/faster at this than others, but we all adapt to some extent eventually.

It took me a lot of practice and a few unfortunate mistakes before everything clicked, but if you take it slowly you'll get it. Practice between 9pm - 7am when the roads are mostly deserted. Get the mechanics of driving down to the point where they're automatic before you try to deal with more heavily populated parking lots / roads / etc.

Other drivers are pretty much all crazy, distracted, or stupid, and learning to quickly predict and react to their seemingly random behavior is the hardest part of learning to drive. You can only get that from practice, so yeah, keep at it.