A&P Should I get this case for my cam?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by LowLikeWhoaF150, Mar 8, 2005.

1. What I really want to know if if anyone has one of these cases or knows anyone that has one? They're all over the place on Ebay and I just question their durability and what not. They are going for around $50-60.

If you guys woudln't like one of these boxes what do you prefer?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ~XyZeR~

~XyZeR~ New Member

looks very professional , i'dd get one, i can't imagine a normal camera bag giving your cam that much protection.

3. sony

sony Active Member

Forget about it. Go Pelican or go home. Pelican has an organic replacable seal, purge valve, and it's almost indestructable. If you're getting it to look cool, get that. If you want function, get a Pelican. It'll keep your gear safe and dry.

If you're in a plane crash, you're going to die. But your gear will float to safety into my hands. :bigok:

The Pelican 1510 is carry on size with rolling wheels. :bigok:

4. :eek3: If I got that case where would I keep my gun :eek3: :mammoru:

That thing is tough looking! But the price is a bit much and It's wayyyyyyyyy bigger than I need! I'm still checkin these pelican ones out though before I jump on a case to buy. :hsd:

5. mojito

mojito New Member

they're good really only for travel. they're heavy and inconvient for daily purposes. Backpacks bags like the Canon BG200 ($50) or the Lowepro mini trekker ($100) are common ones. I'll be upgrading from the Canon to the Tamrac 5575 soon. I also have a Tamrac Velocity 9 Sling pack, so it operates only one one shoulder, allowing you to swing it to your front for access without setting it down.

There are thousands of types of bags, depending on how much you want to carry and where you want to carry it. I'd look at the product catalog for Tamrac and Lowepro to get ideas.

6. mojito

mojito New Member

I have a small pelican, but haven't used it in years. They're air sealed and water sealed, so once you close it nothing is gonna happen to it. They're really not worth it though from a price and weight standpoint unless you plan to travel alot and not carry the camera with you.

personally I use a backpack so its never out of my sight

7. [​IMG]

:eek3: :eek3: Sounds promising to me!! :coold:

8. I'm afraid to keep my camera out of a box because I'm pretty rough with things. Weight and size of the case is not really a concern for me. Price on the other hand..

Also I want something that'll protect my investment in all conditions! The pelican sounds promising even though I doubt I'll have my camera anywhere near water but I like how rigid the case is claiming to be :eek3: :coold:
    [​IMG]

9. mojito

mojito New Member

how many lenses you gonna hve? if you start collecting you have to get a big ass case and they're not cheep. also you'll need places for memory cards, cables, flashes, whatever else you keep with your stuff, and a pelican or any other hard case is just a foam interior you cut out to form fit the equipment

atleast go to a store that sells them and see if you like them first. they are great products, but something that is not very efficent for everyday use.

I take my backpack (form fitted to camera gear and paded) skiing and hiking etc and never had a problem. I've fallen at 50+mph skiing on it and did no harm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Yea that's what I'm worried about.

It's on ebay, it's not very expensive, and they're not being sold by "consumers" so I figured either no one was buying them because they're shitty. Or everyone who buys a case keeps it because the case is soo badass!... :o

11. [​IMG]

This one looks to be plenty room. But I cant find a part # or price... :wtc:

12. sony

sony Active Member

For 60, you can probably fine a pelican in a similar size to the first case you posted. Viperx27 is right though, it isn't ideal if you're going on location and lugging the gear around, but if you're carrying a studio with you somewhere or travelling really far it's a good investment. I'm going to get one to keep my gear in when I travel from place to place, but it isn't going to replace my backpack on site. :cool:

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/from-pricegrabber.asp?id=735584042&rf=pg&dfdate=03_07_2005
    12x13x6 - 52.45

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...kw=PE1450FB&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=75512
    14.8x10.4x6 - 66.95

http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?sku=5579533&SourceID=k15506
    18x12.88x6.63 - 77.36

Your best bet is to call camera stores and see if they carry these. I know the Samy's by my place has a stack of them. The main selling point of the 1510 for me is that 1) it's carry on size (for now) 2) theres rolling wheels

It's a heavier case, but it's big enough to carry almost all my stuff and the wheels are nice because I can stack things on top of the bag and wheel it around (i.e. all my lighting equipment in a duffel bag). Just see whatever case fits your needs and then see if you can afford it. :)

13. sony

sony Active Member

14. You are too :cool:

I'm mostly going to be using it as a traveling studio. I use it for car shows, or even walking around, it's not a big deal for me to walk around with the camera in my hand, or even a briefcase like that. A backpack would be alittle annoying for me.

But the main purpose of my camera is doing photography at car shows. I can leave my case and extra equipment at the vendor booth and just walk around with the camera and maybe an extra attachment. But I see how that backpack would come in handy if I had plans of getting that many lenses. For me it'd take too much time to be switching lenses like that in the middle of a show.

15. Easton

Easton New Member

I really need one of these..

I have a pelican case for my gyro - I can't beleive how indestructible it feels. But the quality feels so cheap and pathetic.

Oh well - function over form :)