Should I get this car or look elsewhere?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by NomadicPants, Jun 29, 2007.

1. NomadicPants

NomadicPants Subaru > *

Hey OT. I've been looking to buy a new car for quite a while now, but only recently have I gotten serious about it. I currently own a 1990 Subaru Legacy that just eclipsed 192k miles. Its been reliable up until now. I went to school in St. Louis (My home is in Denver) and my mother insisted that I take the car with me. I told her she was nuts because I couldn't have a car on campus, but she made me take it. I had to keep it at my aunt's house for the duration of my stay in StL, and I never got the chance to really drive it around at all. Basically, except for the occasional time that my aunt started it up just to have it run for a few minutes, the car didn't leave its spot in the driveway. After I drove it back to Denver, I began to notice a lot of problems that hadn't been there before. I took it into the shop to have it looked at/tuned up, and the mechanics gave me an extensive (and expensive) list of things that needed to be paid attention to sooner rather than later (new axles, timing belt, drive belts, clutch, etc.) Since this car is so old, I don't want to pour any more money into it at all, since its about to fall apart on the outside as well as the inside.

I've been looking for other cars, and I've always been somewhat of a performance nut without the car to match. My buddy's dad owned a few car dealerships and I would always hang around with them and talk cars. Lately I've been looking into DSM Eclipses, and I've found a 98 GSX thats caught my eye. Its $8,200, mileage isnt listed but I'd estimate around 80k or something. Its listed to also have these mods: rebuilt bottom end, ported and polished head, T28 turbo, new pistons, bearings, timing belt, water pump & oil pump, eliminator kit. I know Mitsubishi's aren't the most reliable cars (especially compared to the Subaru that I'll be parting with), but I'm really looking for a car that isn't going to fall apart imminently, which is what the Subaru will be doing.

For reference, I am transferring schools to Houston, and I will be bringing the car with me again, but this time around I will be able to drive it as much as I please.

So should I get it or should I look elsewhere?

2. project15

project15 New Member

They're pretty fun cars and still look great. If you really want that car, make sure to get it checked out my a mechanic that YOU trust. I jumped into a 95 tsi awd purchase that i regret. Ended up falling apart on me in 6 months and i sold it for a $4k hit.