Should i get this 97 civic?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Sportec17, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Sportec17

Sportec17 New Member

I'm thinking about buying a 97 hatchback dx, but i have a couple questions first. It has no tach and while i could mount one on the dash i'd like to have a full tachometer/speedometer inlay with all the normal gages. I know all i have to do is go to a junkyard pick one up and install everything but for some reason it seems to me that the spot in the dash is smaller than normal...could this be possible? Also it has no power steering, do i have to do anything special to add this when i drop in say a b18? And one minor thing is i'd like to add power windows...besides the door panels what do i need?

I know it might be easier to buy a civic with the options i want, which is why i'm asking you guys...also i want to buy from my friend who works for honda

'97 DX
    109k extremely clean
    $6000 maybe less

2. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I can't tell you off the top of my head if it will fit or not. It sounds like its an easy swap, but it may not be. First off, by changing the whole gauge pod out for one with a tach will remove your original odometer. Then the next time the car is registered, then you'll have a different title (recondition, rebuilt, etc...just guessing since I know nothing about titles). Since your planning an engine swap, that may not matter to you. Never ran into the power steering issue, so can't really help ya there. As for the price, I wouldn't pay more than $4500 and that may be a little high. After you get a b18, tranny, ecu, that car for $6000, you're looking at over $10k total and thats a lot to spend for a project like that.

3. Sportec17

Sportec17 New Member

Thanks for the help. Dealer blue book on it is $5900 so i'll see how low i can get it for. Besides a B18b what would the cheapest swap you could think of? Since this is just a car to tide me over until i go to college(1 1/2 years) i just would like some decent power...ZC's are pretty cheap and put out 125 stock i think.

4. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

The D16 is decent. I can't remember what a stock Civic EX puts out, power wise. If you look around, you might be able to find an engine from a 2g Integra. Its a B17 or something like that. I think the 93 model had a GSR too and put out like 150 or 160 HP. I'd just keep it stock if you're just going to drive it until you go to college. You'll be able to get more if you decide to sell it.