SRS Should I get tested for the BRCA (breast cancer) gene mutation?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Soupy, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Soupy

Soupy "What is comforting and what is true are two entir OT Supporter

So my mom had breast cancer when she was 39 and my grandmother was just diagnosed. This puts me in a very high-risk category, and my GYN just offered me the test. The problem is that if I am positive, the only thing they can really do is a bilateral mastectomy and remove my ovaries. I'm 29, don't have kids, and honestly don't want them now, but don't really want to lose the option to have them if I change my mind.

I guess I believe that more information is better than less, but I'm pretty torn about this. Also pretty scared about possibly getting cancer at some point, or about the extreme preventative measures that are available.

Anyone else been tested or know anyone that has been?

2. nerfball

nerfball New Member

3. TeddiBearHug

TeddiBearHug New Member

I'm lost
    why would they need to remove your ovaries for breast cancer?

Just had my 'I'm past 40' mamogram this morning
    OUCH

4. Soupy

Soupy "What is comforting and what is true are two entir OT Supporter

Apparently a positive BRCA mutation suggests high risk for breast and ovarian cancer.

5. teo

teo . => ? => !

Knowing that you have the mutation doesn't mean you have to go for radical prevention by removing some of your reproductive organs. Were it me I'd get the test because I'd rather know whether or not I'm susceptible, and if I was, I'd make sure I was doing all the home checks for breast cancer properly and going to the doc to have my ovaries checked regularly. Quell your fears by arming yourself with knowledge.

6. Snowman_Pusha

Snowman_Pusha New Member

Never Hurts To Try

7. pixing

pixing New Member

that's not quite true - this sort of breast cancer (and there are several types) that they are able to test for with the genetic test is particularly deadly

Get the test Soupy, if you don't have any other aunts or history you're probably OK. Your grandma likely had a different type of cancer than your mom.

To me it would be a no brainer, if you have the cancer gene and get the double mastectomy you will avoid a very harsh disease + treatment. You can have reconstructive surgery done at the same time, it's not the same as if you are having the cancer out.

I wasn't aware that you needed to have your ovaries removed at the same time, I think I would wait on that and possibly have some eggs harvested.

If you don't have the gene you at least have the heads up to be extra vigilant.

My mom died of cancer and if there were any way possible that I could prevent that suffering I would do it.

Good luck with your decision (and the test) :hug:

8. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

If you change your mind abouthaving kids, you can always adopt, right?

Anyways, if I were you, I would get tested. I would rather know and know what my options are now than not know and worry myself silly.

9. mrs0323

mrs0323 New Member

Get the test absolutely. I've watched a good friend of mine struggle with breast cancer for 4 years, it's now spread to her bones. They're keeping her alive with medicine only and it is torture. Plus should you decide to remove them, they can remove belly fat at the same time and do a reconstruction on you.