GUN should i get a sling? (rifle shooting from standing position)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jehan60188, Jul 10, 2009.

1. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

so remember that topic i made about japs?
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=4236272

discussing rifle shooting, and stuff?

well, the "how to stand while shooting" section advised stabilizing the rifle with a method involving a sling.
    would that force me to develop bad habits when i (eventually) move on to larger rifles, and longer ranges? (currently shooting a 10/22 at 25 yards)?

2. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I'm no good with a sling, but guys who swear by them.

Reman would be the guy to ask here about the sling stuff.

3. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

can you recommend any strategy to improve my aim when i shoot from standing? i move around too much!

4. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Lie down?

Standing upright is the hardest position to shoot, as it offers the least support. Go look at pictures of some NRA positional shooters, and pay particular attention to the awkward and goofy looking stances they have.

The goal is to make more bone on bone contact, vs using your muscles as a support. Think digging your support elbow into your hip, using your bone structure to achieve a NPA, vs using your muscles (which will fatigue).

5. reman

reman New Member

Standing up:
    Slings not legal for standing position.
    Get into natural aiming position. Visualize a reference line with your eyes straight at the target.
    Lets say you are right handed, have your left elbow against your ribcage while you are supporting your rifle.
    Have you legs about should width apart and feet pointed at around lets say 45 degrees from your reference line.
    Tilt your back rearward while shouldering the rifle and you can also tip your hips a little forward.
    Chicken wing it!
    You can also put the butt of the rifle higher than your shoulder as seen in the picture.
    For example
    [​IMG]

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'm a big fan of the hasty sling technique.
    [y]1gAso3l7UCU[/y]
    I'm sure I'd get my butt whooped with the odd techniques of nra shooters but it allows for you to very quickly pick up some added support if you decide you want it. In my opinion learning to use a sling now is good, you'll be less frustrated when you're shooting a heavier rifle at longer ranges. A sling is like $10, give it a shot.

7. BLH

BLH Member

I've never used a sling for standing, it isn't legal for competition. Reman has the idea for the position for shooting standing, although unlike the photo that is posted, keep the right elbow down, there is no reason to stick it out 90* to the body.

Here is a photo of Matt Emmons in position, yes he does have the jacket and everything else on but it will give you an idea of the position.

[​IMG]

8. reman

reman New Member

I think he is using a butt hook.

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

A lot of it is the game. For practical rifle unsuported freehand when we are forced to do it some people sling up. You can get rock solid for shots out to 200 that feel like your baricade holding. Honestly head shots or plates under 100 not many people are slinging up.

For me I don't use a sling for anything then lugging my rifle up to a elevated platform but I don't shoot sniper matches or nra high power. I use a more traditional rifle hold and just real work on my breathing. Meaning I get my heart rate as controlled as possible (usually after running around during a stage), I take a few deep breath, hold breath, and fire before I get oxygen starved and vision deteriates. Then it is sight alignment, trigger control, and calling the shot and seeing the sight lift clean in recoil.

I don't shoot a heavy recoil gun so I keep my support elbow down. I not a long range unsupported freehand stud like the high power guys but I can shoot unsupported free hand all A zone hit at speed and under stress all day long out to 100 w/ my AR.

10. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Speaking of slings, what would be the recommended leather for a Rem 700.

11. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

thanks for the tips everyone, I'm hitting the range sunday, and I can't wait to try them out!

12. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Turner saddlery still what everyone is using? It was the gold standard for a long time..... I've got one laying around somewhere, but I don't think I've honestly ever slung up with it.

13. reman

reman New Member

The Turner sling is good, so are those cheap surplus M1 Garand slings.

14. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

only time I use a sling for standing as you're describing it, is when I am hunting with my .308 Browning. 2-point sling, put your weak arm, palm up, through the sling (under the rifle), then bring that arm under the sling, so the end of the sling is kinda wrapped around your hand.

maybe hard to picture....might have to take a picture. if anyone cares. was taught it years ago.

15. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Pm me what you want for it.

16. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

17. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I don't know if I can find it. If I can, I'll shoot you a price.

Someone else was wanting me too look for something that they were wanting as well, but I honestly completely forgot about it. My apologies.

You know who you are, so speak up.