Should I get a FMIC or coilovers?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by S13Koop, Dec 30, 2003.

1. S13Koop

S13Koop OG Lurker

on the S13
    The SR power is decent stock, really thinkin I should start working on the suspension. Damn, but I'd like a FMIC while I got the cash.
    The suspension is 13 yrs old though and getting worse!
    ur thoughts?

2. KeeperOfAcheron

KeeperOfAcheron I dub thee Sir Phobos, Knight of Mars, beater of a

Coilovers. Once you have them, you will love them. My buddy in his WRX hasn't been happier with the results.

3. chaos7

chaos7 Guest

suspension. it has got to be one of the best mods

4. Scout

Scout OT Supporter

FMIC would be good depending on the size and type of intercooler you will be using. Will it be for track or street use? Take note of what the car is used for and buy the right type of intercooler.

Coil-overs only excel when cars are used in a racing environment. Other than that, it's no use just for road use.
    Coil-overs are pretty high maintainence compared to shocks and springs and can also produce more noise and harshness.
    So ask yourself if you want the big "brand-name wank factor" and you want to fork out the big dollars for components that are really over the top for what you really need them for.

In the end, if you are using for racing, go the suspension first with either coil-overs if you race regulary or have the "bling bling". If not, go the springs and shocks.

5. Lafora

Lafora Guest

order of mods should be:

driver ---> tires ---> brakes ---> suspension -----> power

6. S13Koop

S13Koop OG Lurker

The car is going to be for track mostly, thats why I'm considering coilovers, that and the fact that I don't wanna go spring/shock combo now and spend $ again later on quality coilovers

Apparently I'm going in backwards order, but only cuz my KA quit on me so I needed to fix that problem.

7. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

Suspension mods can save your life.

The FMIC will not make hardly any more horsepower, until you start modding it more.

Go w/ the coilovers.

8. ABSTRAKT

ABSTRAKT per aspera ad astra

JIC FLTA2's

9. Ovrated

Ovrated New Member

coilovers

10. Scout

Scout OT Supporter

Actually that's incorrect. Turbos generate a considerable amount of heat which is pushed into the engine, and as most people should know, a hot ait/fuel mixture is bad at wide-open throttle because it decreases the density of the charge entering the combustion chambers, which then reduces the amount of fuel and oxygen present. Now we all know that the more fuel and oxygen available, the more power that an engine can produce, and considering the very average cooling that a S13 intercooler can produce, this modification will produce a fiar amount of power, depending if they right intercooler is used.

11. JDMDSM

JDMDSM Guest

COILOVERS the intercooler can wait. if you pick up more power theres always a chance wheel hop can be a problem. A good suspension and bushing will help or totally eliminate this problem.

12. sr20det

sr20det Handin' out uppercuts, elbows and indian burns!

13. Scout

Scout OT Supporter

Well if you have taken the advice everyone has given you, then the coil-overs are the go.
    Keep in mind that if you have coil-overs fitted, please dont go and play with the settings and get it all wrong. This will affect the corner balancing of the vehicle in turn, affects the handling and steering pull of the car.
    It's common to have tyres rubbing the inner guards and then wiring harnesses, and CV shafts bottoming out after owners have fitted oversized wheels and changed the damper settings.
    In the end, don't play with your suspension no matter what they are unless you know what you are doing.