Should I forget my old PC and buy a new one?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kooomar, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Kooomar

Kooomar .

So, I have had a bum PC for a couple of months, and haven't really made the effort to get it fixed. Finally, I took it to a repair shop to get a diagnostic on it to see what was going on.

Apparently, a stick of 512 RAM became corrupted, and corrupted the OS (cracked XP) SO, I am told that the new stick, plus the new OS, plus installation of both would be $250 bucks and then it will "probably" work.

Should I just suck it up and pay the 250 and hope it works, or do you think I should just cut my losses and get a new PC (in the 600 dollar range)

The stats on said PC (from what I remember)
    1 gig RAM
    3.2 gHz processor
    radeon 9800 pro video card
    250g HD

If anyone knows any good buys, that would be appreciated, too.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  2. havelegs

havelegs Active Member

What do you use the computer for? If it's just for simple browsing/email then it should be fine. Not sure why they are charging you 250 to put an OS and a stick of ram in, seems very expensive. You can buy XP for about 100 bucks and replace the ram for cheap, both of which are easy to do. If you want to get a new machine any brand should do as they are all pretty much the same as far as parts go. Just pick how much you want to spend and have fun shopping.

3. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

Is this a socket 775 mobo?

Like havelegs said, unless you do some encoding or gaming on it, who gives a shit? 3.2ghz with dedicated GPU is more than enough for anything the web will throw at you. Just keep it, don't spend 250 bucks to do the very minimal work of reinstalling an OS and adding a cheap stick of ram.

4. Kooomar

Kooomar .

Its going to be for SOME gaming and potentially some video editing and coding. Nothing ridiculous like 3D video rendering, but it seemed to work fine for what I needed it for.

And I know 250 iis way overpriced, I would probably upgrade the RAM on my own anyways, as 1 gig is almost outdated.

But would reinstalling an OS over a "corrupt" one be any different? Or would it just boot off of the disc?

5. havelegs

havelegs Active Member

Reinstalling the OS you would format the hard drive, meaning you'll need to save all your files to discs or flash drives/etc. There are some decent new machines you can get but they are all going to have Vista on them and may not run very smoothly at that price range. You can get one and dump more ram into it and put Windows 7 on it when it comes out.

6. JasonKnight

JasonKnight OT Supporter

7. Kooomar

Kooomar .

Although a little higher than my original price range, do you guys think a refurbished PC would be a good buy?

[FONT=Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Model: Gateway FX6800-01E
    Processor: Intel Core i7 920 Processor
    (2.66GHz | 1066MHz | 8M cache)
    Memory: 3096MB 1066Mhz DDR3 Memory (3-1024MB)
    Hard Drive: 750GB 7200rpm Serial ATA II/300 HDD w/ 16MB Cache
    Optical Drives: 18X Super Multi-format DVDRW Drive with Labelflash
    Video: ATI Radeon HD 4850 Video with 1GB Dedicated (Two DVI Ports)
    Price: $729

I've always bought new or custom, and I'm not quite sure what refurbished would entail on a PC.

Good idea?
    Bad idea?
    [/FONT]

8. Poz_Dispenser

Poz_Dispenser New Member

Why don't you build a cheap 775 socket computer. Reuse your HD and disc drives. Grab an Asus mobo that will handle core2quad/core2duo/core2extreme. 4GB-8GB of ram. I have a C2Q Q6600 and a C2E QX6800. PM me if interested.

9. ady

ady New Member

I've only ever brought refurbs direct from Dell and Apple, but they are just systems sent back because they are unwanted or there was an issue that they were able to return it over that has been fixed. Some argue refurbs are a better buy because not only do you get savings but it has been checked by a human being to be working.

The price on that system seems fine too.

10. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

RAM is one of the easiest thing to install, and if you know how to unplug the computer and open the case, you can install it yourself. windows vista and windows 7 (OEM editions are cheap) basically install themselves.. or you could even give Ubuntu (free) a try (also a simple install). but older RAM might actually be costly, so dunno

if you don't play PC games.. check out the Dell Studio Hybrid. You can get them from the Dell Outlet for really good prices. Awesome little machines.