MIL Should I feel worthless/guilty/useless?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by mrmephistopheles, May 30, 2005.

1. mrmephistopheles

mrmephistopheles Not right... in the head.

I'm 25 years old and I've done a 4-year tour in the Marine Corps (plus an additional 4-month recall for OIF in which I was ordered across the country to guard a gate with my thumb up my ass).
    Every day I watch the news and I read the paper I see our guys getting blown up by IEDs, ambushed by insurgents, etc.
    I'm left with a desire to go back into active duty service so I can at least do my part to help our guys over there.
    The 3 greatest reasons I don't want to are my daughter, my wife, and my memories of Marine Corps BS.
    Yeah, it's selfish, but I can't bear the thought of leaving my girls.

Anyway, what do you think. I did my time (honorably), and as much as I don't miss the life, I don't like seeing our people getting killed.

Sidenote: were I single, I'd go join Blackwater Security and get paid 6 figures to shoot bad guys (if necessary). ...if I'd even gotten out at all.

2. crucial_fiction

crucial_fiction Active Member

Wouldn't feel bad at all bro...you took your priorities and what was best for you. Not everyone does 20 to retirement. You did your time honorably. That's the most/best anyone could ask for.

3. itsnick

itsnick Guest

You did your time, that's more than a lot of people can say. Some people get "lucky" and don't really do much in their years. There's nothing wrong with that. Now that you have a family, that should be priority one. Enjoy your life now.

4. keleko

keleko yes, he is

like Nextel says.

Done.