Should I even bother with these subs? (Vega12's)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Guardfather, May 9, 2004.

1. Guardfather

Guardfather The Paradox

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=cervega12d4&store=&catid=369

I bought a pair of them a few years back, and have yet to build an enclosure for them. Seeing how the car audio world is evolving, I'm not so sure I should even bother putting these into car enclosures. They've got excellent frequency range, so I think maybe I should put them in some home enclosures, and get a single, cheap, omgwtfthatsbeef sub for the car.

I've been looking at the Power Acoustik FUBR 12, and some of the Audiobahn subs. I want something better than the 3 old, cheap 10s I have in the trunk right now, without taking up as much space. I absolutely will not spend more than $300 on sub(s) right now. I'm trying to stay at $200 or less.

Suggestions?

2. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

How about a resonant engineering HC or SE? A used elemental designs E12A?

3. Guardfather

Guardfather The Paradox

I've been seeing a lot about RE lately, so I checked their site and was very interested in their XXX line. Though it looks a bit too beefy for my amps, and wallet.
    Are the SE subs gonna give a huge thump? What sort of price range are they in?

4. pharcyde183

A 12" SE should be about 170. It will definitely give a lot of thump. The RMS i believe is 600watts. It will sound pretty good as well ( at least when compared to that FUBR 12) :)

5. Guardfather

Guardfather The Paradox

is that available in dual 4 ohm voice coils? i've got a crunch vdrive amp that can push over 1000w rms bridged @ 2ohms. i'd turn it down, of course. :)

6. pharcyde183

Yeah you can get it in dual 4ohm no sweat.

7. On_One

On_One Guest

I owned 2 of the 10" and had them in a ported box with 800 watts between the pair. Whilethey aren't the best sounding subs they do get pretty freaking loud.

8. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

just run the vegas and see, they don't sound horrible and they get decently loud... watch how much power you give them tho