Should I buy an iMac today at Best Buy?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MikeTheVike1, Aug 8, 2009.

1. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

I've been looking to buy an iMac for a while. Its a no state sales tax weekend. Plus I have $200 in gift cards there. I could get a 24" 2.93ghz for $1599 interest free for 18 months. Any better deals than that?

2. MikeTheVike1

Really!? Do I have to prove I'm a student? I have my old college id, haha

3. MikeTheVike1

And will I be able to take it to an Apple store if I'm having problems with it if I buy it from Best Buy? And I suppose I can buy Apple Care?

4. MikeTheVike1

My id is old and worn, I'll bring it just in case. It doesn't have any dates on it i don't think. I'm going to head to the store and see what happens. I might get one!

5. Figori

Figori Taking BRC to the EXTREME. OT Supporter

Dooooooo Eeeeeeeet.

6. MikeTheVike1

ARRAGgsadjflasdgkjh, so I go to best Buy and I ask the sales guy if they had any 2.93ghz in stock. He goes searching and finds one, but also says he found an older open-box 2.8ghz iMac. The open box price is $1200, after I use my gift cards it would be $1000. Sounds like a great deal, but I was wondering about the warranty and whether I could buy Apple Care for it. I called two Apple stores and asked if I could buy Apple Care on an open box iMac and they said "Uhhhh, Yea!" But I was still leery of buying an Open Box computer. I racked my brain trying to decide if the open box was worth the risk for $600 savings. I ended up leaving empty handed, I have tomorrow to decide if I want to buy one and get the tax free savings. sigh

7. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

I am 99.99999% positive you'll be able to buy Apple Care for open box products. Apple sells refurbished products and you can buy Apple Care for those :dunno:

8. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

furthermore, how would Apple know if it was an open box product from Best Buy? It's not like it was already registered for AppleCare which would be the only dead give-away ya know?

You're fine. Get whichever one you want (or that they have left)...pussyfooting around during tax free weekend is not smart. That shit will be gone if you're not careful. People take this weekend seriously, lol

9. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

We can see where, when, and the condition of purchase of every mac out there if it's from a retail location.

10. MikeTheVike1

Well, I'm browsing OT on my new open box iMac! Got it for a tad less than $1000 after the gift cards. Everyone said that I can get AppleCare on it. Plus I have 18 months no-interest to pay it off! Wooh!

11. Pepe

Pepe New Member

congrats, post some pics of your setup.

12. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

That's nice. Point here being that this will not matter if you buy and successfully register AppleCare during the product's first year of life - whether it came from Best Buy or Apple.

13. tomohr

tomohr look again! OT Supporter

:bowdown:

still rockin' my 17" :wtc: