A&P should i buy a digicam?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by lemans23, Feb 16, 2005.

1. lemans23

lemans23 PV - The Vision of Sound

:wtc::wtc::wtc:

i seem to get one roll out of 20 perfect when i get 'em developed. at this point, with the cost of the cam, film and processing, i could've had a digirebel instead of my elan 7. i'm getting sick of throwing away my money and not knowing if i shot good pics or not. what i'm asking you all is....should i sell the elan 7 and get a new digi cam? whats ur pro and con thoughts? i'd get either a 300d, 10d or 20d. OH and i'm also sick with the careless fools there scratching my negatives so i can't scan them well. whatcha think?

2. mojito

mojito New Member

I'd look into a new deveoper to start. If someone ruined my pictures by wither scratching or incorrectly proccessing I'd break their knees.

Its a hard decidion. With a digi you get instant feedback, but learning on film forces you to get it right to start and not try to correct for it in photoshop later.

Either way you go, you need to stick with it, really practice with it, take notes to see what you did, and what the outcome was, and how you can improve on it later.

Film is a lot of money to "throw away" but it does hold some qualities not held by digital. With digital you have huge upfront costs and the resale is horrible.

3. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I'd say minimize your losses and trade in your elan for a 300D. nobody uses 35mm anymore. it's either digital or large format film.

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

get a digital...you'll thank us later!

5. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

dslr prices are going to drop soon....wait and make your decision then because you might find an amazing deal on a 300d or 20d

6. lemans23

dude i'm a 16yr old hs kid who doesnt have a job anymore. i had perfect, well, good photos from my first processor, but they went bankrupt and went out of business (redundant, eh?). so now the only people here in town keep smudging and using their bare hands when handling the negatives. i asked them about it and they said its just normal processing. normal my ass. i love my film, i really do. you can see what different films and lenses affect the prints and other details that digi can't capture. i just cant stand paying exorburant (sp) amounts of money to have horrible prints. why are dslrs dropping in price?

7. mojito

mojito New Member

basic economics. As technology improves, demand increases and supply increases to meet demand. At first it was only Canon in the DSLR world with the D30. It was $3k. The others came into the market, Nikon, Kodak, Olympus, Minolta, Pentax, Sigma etc. So there are options now, and they have to be priced competively to attract buyers. Nikon is assuming that Cnon will relase a model inbetwent he rebel and 20D more inline with the D70, and since Canon owns the market place right now, Nikon is offering a $200 rebate to buy the D70 to preserve sales. They figure that once you buy a body, you'll stick with that brand since you bought their lenses as well.

8. lemans23

no no no, i meant, is there something new coming out? cause he said EXPECT a drop as though a later and greater product was anticipated

9. mucky

mucky .

:ugh:

10. mojito

mojito New Member

well the answer came out today. a better version of the rebel at most likely the same price point. Something to consider.

11. lemans23

lol thanks when i saw he typed that i was like :ugh2::squint:

12. JordanClarkson

sorry, amateurs still use 35mm. :mamoru: digital, large, med.

13. mucky

mucky .

You are a fucking fool. There's a lot of professionals, both journalistic and artistic, who still use and stand by 35mm, not just amateurs. :slap:

14. JordanClarkson

those are in the same group as amateurs :mamoru:

15. mucky

mucky .

You're a fucking idiot if you think "nobody" uses 35mm film anymore. Go visit some galleries or a real camera store that tailors to photography enthusiasts and you will see more 35mm film photography than digital. Actually, with the advent of the convenience of digital, there's a LOT more amateurs using digital nowadays.

16. JordanClarkson

i'm going to stop before i give you a heart attack :ugh:

17. mucky

mucky .

Yeah, you better stop talking out of your ass. :wavey:

18. mojito

mojito New Member

Professional Photographer Statistics
    25% use Digital
    25% use Film
    50% use a combination of both

Both have distinct advantages, both are viable solutions to create a certain type of image

19. mucky

mucky .

I'm not going to disagree with you, actually I agree with it, but that statistic is nothing close to conclude "nobody uses 35mm anymore" as the fool originally stated.

20. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

combination of both.

35mm slide film is what our pros use for the billboards and future projects we create.
    digital is what our pros use for website and print

21. JordanClarkson

Ok, the pro's making money use medium and large format. I'm talking being able to afford to shoot hundreds of pics each day. These are what take landscape pics and other highly detailed pics you see in thick magazines with thick full color pages. If you take pics for web pages, you'd be wasting money on film. Sports and photojournalists have switched to digital. If 25% use digital and 25% use film, then obviously most are either using digital or large and med format vs 35mm. It still exists. I was saying that a large percentage of people who used to use it have abandoned it. Most who still use it exclusively are those dedicated to the format maybe because they fear flash drives will bite them or something.

22. mojito

mojito New Member

Until you get into the indutry, you might want to lay off the generalities. There is nothing that compares to some types of film. Velvia and Provia will never be equaled on a digital. Black and white as well. Digital holds a cost effectiness and can hold a time advantage if done properly, as well as instant feedback.

Medium and large format have digital backs, but for even most working pros aren't justifiable yet. 35mm film is still a large industry. Its mostly chromes for pro photographers, and negs for B&W fine art, and color neg for consumers that haven't switched.

The trend is going digital, but certain professions, like architectural photography will always be a film driven industry untill large format digital backs are affordable. And that won't be for a long ass time.

23. mucky

mucky .

Right....:rolleyes:

35mm stil exist and is used widely still. The notion that "nobody uses 35mm anymore" is a foolish elitist attitude mindset just because you assume that digital cameras deliver everything everybody wants and the truth is digital still has a small limitation compared with 35mm cameras.

Both Nikon and Canon still deliver brand new high end 35mm SLRs for a reason. If "nobody" uses 35mm today, why the fuck would these company carry a very large line of 35mm line of SLR film cameras and showcase new models still as of current? And don't say those are aimed for "amateurs", because no amatuer will throw in near $2.5k for a 35mm film SLR camera.

Hit your camera stores and you will see TONS of people from mutilple array of fields and level STILL using and buying 35mm cameras and equipment. Professional or not, to delcare that "nobody uses 35mm anymore" is an ignorant and foolish statment. The market and customers for 35mm equipment still exist.

24. JordanClarkson

You're getting way too worked up over a general comment that was made out of humor. :ugh:

25. mucky

mucky .

:404HumorNotFound: