Should I buy a 17" MBP now or wait?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Aznpho, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Aznpho

Aznpho Not Currently in Use

I have the oppurtunity to finally own a MBP...but i have a sony vaio laptop that does the job decently well right now and i dunno if i should wait until mac comes out with something better...

should i wait? or go for the purchase?

my little brother has a powerbook, my school predominately uses Macs and my Audio porduction major utilizes Mac applications so these are the reasons i am looking towards apple this go around...

2. Liddy

Liddy Not enough cowbell.

Wait until Leopard is out? :dunno:

3. Aznpho

also.. 15 or 17"?

i know its personal preference but i dunno.. im kinda torn.. im on a 13" currently.. i've always wanted a 17.. but i dunno if i could sacrifice the portability to get a 17..

when will leopard come out?

4. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

wait, it will be out by may for sure. if not earlier

5. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

i love my 17". i bring it to every class with me, so even though it's kinda big, i find it to be quite portable. it's slim, and only ~7 lbs which isnt too bad for the size. and i love having the extra screen space where ever i go. but like you said, it's personal preference

6. ady

ady New Member

Definatly wait for the next generation if you aren't in a hurry. The 17" barely has much more bulk that the 15" if the screen size is something you really want, 1" extra widtha and depth and weighs 1lb more.

7. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

It it were me, i'd just get it now. There will be nothing stopping you buying 10.5 when it comes out. Its not like your locked into 10.4.

The thing with computers is, you will never buy something if you keep holding off for the next big thing.

8. Aznpho

thats true.. but I just dont wanna buy it now.. if I have to pay again to upgrade it in a few weeks.. when I could just hold onto my Sony Vaio which has treated me well these past 2 years..

If anyone has a good link on the leopard and possible launch date it would be much appreciated it...

but other than that.. is that the only new thing coming out for the new MBP's?

9. Aznpho

my 13" is liek 4 lbs lol.. i picked up my brothers 15" powerbook and i was like.. why is this thing so heavy.. but i love the backlit keyboard and i loved the mac functionality.. im very excited to be apart of the mac shack and learning all the ins and outs of macs..

10. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

just so you know, if you buy a computer, and a brand new one comes out in the following 2 weeks, they'll gladly let you refund it and get a new one. thats what i did with my 17" PowerBook and 5th gen iPod (even with it engraved). im a big fan of 17", but again, that's just me

also, apple likes to keep little secrets, just as release dates of OS's and systems. sometimes it's obvious/leaked, but sometimes apple will really blow your mind away with announcements. for all we know, leopard could be released tomorrow, or not for another year

11. Aznpho

links? how comes the 15" has better perfomance?

yea.. they are amazing.. i dont need it right now.. im just excited to get one.. and i dont want to regret it at all... just tryign to do enough research on it to make sure i get the bast computer possible.

12. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

Current rumours seem to point for the new OS being out sometime next month. Otherwise, your fine to buy now, nothing else new on the horrizon

13. Bona Fide

Bona Fide Guest

Wait for Leopard and Santa Rosa...both will be out and in market channels by May.