Should I build my own External Hard Drive ?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by AsianRage, Aug 14, 2005.

1. AsianRage

AsianRage Know about Media Ventures?

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

the case and a hard drive. if the case doesn't come with a screw driver, you will also need a philips screw driver.

3. AsianRage

Thanks.. I'm so new to this

Are there restrictions that I should pay attention to? Would any regular HD work? Does slim case mean I would have to look for special HD?

I'm looking to have a 250gb storage space in the end.

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Anything that takes a standard 3.5" IDE hard disk will work. If you plan on leaving it on all the time, make sure you get a case with a fan or you could cook your drive. A "slim" case could mean its designed for a 2.5" laptop hard drive instead of a desktop drive. Look at the detailed description.

5. AsianRage

I found that slim HD does cost alot more than regular HD for the same storage space.

I've read that some people's setup got too hot and burned them because they didn't have an internal fan. Does having a Ball Bearing fan better than a regular fan?

6. AsianRage

Is it better to have an external power supply instead of having a regular USB powered setup?

7. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

A regular 3.5" hard drive is going to need an external power source. A 2.5" (laptop) hard drive will run okay on USB power usually.

8. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

A ball bearing fan will last longer than a sleeve bearing fan.

9. sholnay

sholnay New Member

well ive got an external case - from newegg - all aluminum - its basically just a sleeve over the hard drive - no fan - runs fine - and not hot. Its "warm" to the touch and on 24x7. I dont think modern drives put out THAT much heat to burn you.

10. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Not hot enough to burn you, but they can put out quite a bit of heat. Certainly enough to damage the drive if its not taken care of. Aluminum is a good conductor of heat and I've seen some cases that make good contact between the drive and the case so the case acts like a heatsink.

11. sholnay

sholnay New Member

well, like i said, perhaps my case is just a good one - I have two external cases - one has a fan, one is just the aluminum one- The aluminum one is warm at most at all times. the one with the fan is DAMN annoying because the fan is getting older and dust is building up - its a mess. I wont be buying a fan external encloser again.

12. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

A fan is only an issue for 7200 RPM drives. Just look at most commercial externals. I've had a Lacie and a Maxtor external, both lacked fans and both where 5200 RPM.

Also, most 2.5" drives require too much power to run off USB alone. Check the case instructions for the power limit. Most come with a second USB or PS2 cable to provide extra power.

13. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I used to think 5400rpm disks were cooler too until I bought one for bulk storage and didn't want to add too much heat to the case. That 5400rpm drive was hotter than my 7200 primary drive. It all depends on the design. I just bought a WD 7200 rpm USB2.0 drive. It doesn't have a fan but the case doesn't get too hot since it was probably designed to use the case as a heatsink.

14. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Well yea, there is nothing you can do if the drive maker screwed up. Generally speaking though, faster drives get hotter. Anyone who accidentally picked up a 15K SCSI drive right after it shut down can attest to this :wtc:

15. AsianRage

Thank you all for responding. So it's a necessity to have a power supply running for the regular HD. Should I worry about how high or how low the wattage level is? I've seen 30 watt rating as the norm. Would that be sufficient?
    Does having a thicker enclosure with fan, say 5.5" as oppose to a regular 3.5" enclosure, means that the drive can be better ventilated?

16. AsianRage

Also, when they say a drive is OEM, what does that mean when compared to a one that doesn't have OEM status. I know what OEM means, BTW. :hsd:

17. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

OEM means its just a bare drive. No cables, no instruction manual, no pretty box. The drive itself is the same as the retail drive.

18. AsianRage

Would it be necessary to invest in some "drive noise reducer"?

19. jdiggity

jdiggity New Member

negative.

Also check out newegg.com they usually have great deals.

20. AsianRage

I'm getting confused by all of these different HD interface. EIDE and IDE and SATA and Ultra ATA. Can someone clarify the differences? The more I read up on this the more confusing it becomes. Which is better than the other?

Are they compatible with each other?

21. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

IDE/EIDE/Ultra ATA/ATA100/ATA133 are all basically the same thing when shopping for drives today. Its the older 40 pin interface. SATA is a newer interface with a totally different connector for both power and data. Its not interchangable with IDE without an adapter. Most (probably almost all) of the external cases you'll find today are for IDE drives but I'm sure that will change over the next year as SATA finally pushes IDE into the history books.