Should i bring my macboook in to get fixed? or be thankful

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sdubz, Feb 26, 2009.

1. sdubz

sdubz New Member

OK...so yesterday on the way to class i stuffed my macbook (in incase sleeve) and water bottle into my backpack and ran to the bus stop. on my way there i noticed my butt area (where the bottom of my backpack was touching) noticeably wet. I immediately took my backpack off and found that the bottom half of my backpack was a pool with half of my macbook submerged in the water. I ran back home and dried everything off as best I could. Being stupid....i plugged in my laptop and turned it on (sans the battery which i took out) and the screen had a red tint to it. i was scared but late for class so i turned it off and ran to class. upon returning 4 hours later i turned on the computer again and found there was still a red tint to everything... the screen THEN began flashing and becoming so messed up that I couldn't see anything. i had to force shut down the macbook and left it off for a while. Being impatient as i am, later that night around 4 hours later I turned on the computer again...where the red tint was there but i could still see everything...the computer screen began flashing back into normal colors! being happy with this i turned it off and went to bed.
    NOW...today i turned on my laptop and the screen looks perfectly fine where i am typing this now... i guess there was no damage to my laptop but only to the screen. the screen has a lot of water marks on the left side but i can deal with that since i am a struggling college student and don't have $800 lying around to fix it via APPLECARE..

lemme know if you think i should still get it looked at or be thankful that SOMEONE UP ABOVE has given me a second chance lol

CLIFFS:
    macbook got water on it
    screen was all red tinted
    screen then started flashing and totally messed up
    next morning screen is totally fine with some water marks on the left side..

should i get it looked at still?

2. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

If it's still under warranty take it in and play dumb. The worst they can do is to refuse to fix it for free.

3. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

There are water indicators in the laptop. They'll know and once it gets water damage, there's nothing they can do. If you have AppleCare, I'd suggest Prorating it. You could take it in, although they will probably end up telling you they can't do anything. There's probably no point in playing dumb. You'd have to be really stupid to say "I don't know how it got there" when there are water marks all over the screen.

4. sdubz

sdubz New Member

yeah... im thinking about taking it in tomorrow or the next day. im using it right now and it works perfectly fine...

there are visible water marks on the left side of the screen but they are going away a little at a time.

5. SeanJhn9

SeanJhn9 Active Member

as long as you come up w/ a safety issue story apple will replace it no matter what the damage is

say something along the lines of: the macbook was charging and when you went to pick it up it burnt you and as your reaction you dropped what you had in your other hand (water) to grab the burnt hand and it (water) got on your keyboard :hsugh:

6. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Well, since they are going away little by little, once they are gone, will there be any other problems with the laptop? If so, I probably wouldn't even bother taking it in.

7. sdubz

sdubz New Member

^ thats what im wondering.

8. Naturally Baked

Naturally Baked Active Member

:rofl:

9. SeanJhn9

SeanJhn9 Active Member

:rofl:

it works man, ask me how i know :hs: :hsugh:

10. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter