SRS Should I be angry?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by up|dn, Oct 8, 2007.

1. up|dn

up|dn ಠ_ಠ

I've been thinking about this for a few days and I figured maybe OT could help shed some light on the subject.

About 2 months ago I applied for a "blue collar" job with a manufacturing outfit because it was most suited to my recent background. Because I am also good with computers, am clean-cut, and generally look more like a "white collar" person, I ended up interviewing for a production control position, which they then offered to me.

A very stressful month later, I finally feel like I'm starting to grasp the job. I felt that overall, people were happy with me, although obviously it was a learning curve for me. It was then that I overheard about another position that they needed someone for, more of an expediting position, and I expressed interest. They offered me this job, although I made it clear to them that I was only willing to do it as a trial, because my personality is not really suited for yelling at suppliers, etc.

A week into this new position, again very stressful and without much direction, I have to take 2 days off because my daughter has surgery. I asked for the time off, filled in the paperwork, and thought everything was in order. I tried to make sure everything was taken care of and came back early on Friday to catch up. An hour later on the Friday, I get called into a meeting, and was let go. Their reason for "firing me" was that my personality wasn't really suited for being an expeditor, and that maybe I should reconsider my career options since I'm generally too nice and sympathetic (to push vendors and distributors, I guess). They did not have another position which they could offer me, but they assured me that it wasn't any problem with my attitude, and I can't think of anything I did wrong.

Now, I'm not saying I disagree with them. I know my limits, and I wasn't experienced nor too well-suited for that job. What pisses me off is this:

1. I leave a job I enjoyed (before going to this company) to take on this new experience, thinking it would be good for my future. Now I have nothing.

2. I don't believe I did anything wrong, but now I have to explain to new potential employers why I was let go.

3. I went into the position with the agreement that the company was dynamic and would make it work if I didn't think it was right for me.

4. A week is not a fair judgment, especially if I wasn't given any training or tools with which to do the job.

I have never been fired from any jobs before. I have never even been reprimanded. This really pisses me off because I have a mortgage to pay and a family to support and it seems like they just changed plans and I was a casualty.

This is mostly venting, but I would appreciate any comments, advice, or ideas on what happened here (and yes, I realize it might simply have been that I was incompetent, but I had no warning until the goodbye.)

2. Simius the Sheriff

Simius the Sheriff #2016 OT Supporter

That sucks. Hopefully you have some money saved up so you can keep paying your bills while you find a new job. If you can, get a letter of recommendation from one of your old bosses. That way you can put that on your resume so you don't look like you got fired for being lazy or something like that... It was just that your new position wasn't a match for you and they didn't have anywhere else for you in the company.

I'll stick some pins in an upside down voodoo doll to give you luck.

3. red

red New Member

:wtc:

Can you go back to the job that you liked which you left?

4. verdiocchi

verdiocchi Oh snap!

I'm sorry, that's a crappy situation. I think you have a right to be upset, but you can't really do much about it. It seems like you were aware that you might not be a good fit for that job so when you made the choice to take it, you were risking your job there. I understand that you would have liked to take it on a trial basis, but in the working world that doesn't really happen. If you moved to something else, they needed to fill your old position. If you don't fit in the new one, they can't fire the person they hired to replace you just to give you your old job back. Wouldn't be fair to that guy.

Sounds like you shouldn't have a terribly difficult time finding something else. Just be more careful about what positions/promotions you take.

5. up|dn

up|dn ಠ_ಠ

Thanks for the support, guys. Yeah, I guess I took a risk and it backfired on me. It's a real blow to the ego, especially since I thought I was doing fairly well, but maybe it's for the best since I wasn't really enjoying it.

I'm financially secure enough that it's not a huge deal in that regard, but finding a new job is never fun, especially when you're in a position where you can't be too picky.

6. red

red New Member

I got laid off after 8 years at a company once. I was the 7th employee (literally, my employee number was 007. Bond, James Bond). The company hit a rough spot, managers kept on quitting, and the project I had recently been assigned to was canceled. 8 years I was there. The company was ten times the size it was when I was hired. I got laid off because they erased my position and didn't want to bother finding me another. They gave me two weeks severance.

So, I know what you mean. It fucking sucks.

7. up|dn

up|dn ಠ_ಠ

Yeah, that sounds rough. :hs:

On the plus side, I'm completely free to do anything now, and I'm even considering moving and starting somewhere else. With unemployment at its lowest in like 30 years, I might just have some decent job opportunities too.. so I guess it's not all bad.

8. red

red New Member

:h5:

Once you get over the reflexive anger, it's really not all that bad.

A word of advice though: if you do apply for unemployment, make sure you lie to the unemployment office about any income you're actually getting. They're absolute fuckers. They denied my claim entirely because I was trying to do some part time work, which would've netted me a few hundred dollars a month (FAR less than an unemployment benefit). They didn't even offer me the difference. Meanwhile I know people who simply string them along forever by filing paperwork stating they've applied for jobs at places that aren't hiring for positions they aren't qualified for. You get shit for trying.

9. nebulous

nebulous all it took was a blow to the head OT Supporter

Damn mang, I am really sorry. You might consider omitting this job from your resume though. The sin of omission is a small one lol. Unless you feel like the experience was very beneficial to your next job, i would consider not even including it.

10. up|dn

up|dn ಠ_ಠ

Yeah, I won't be putting a one month job on a resume, that's for sure. The problem is, now when a potential employer asks me why I left my last place, I'll be stuck on what to tell them.

I think it's probably not unreasonable to tell them that I quit my last job to pursue a great opportunity, but unfortunately within a month there was some restructuring and I wasn't able to keep that job. It's probably accurate, since the company is growing so fast, they're constantly restructuring. The alternative is to lie about it, and that will probably come back to haunt me.

11. up|dn

up|dn ಠ_ಠ

The worst is when people find jobs that pay under the table and they're collecting insurance at the same time. Unfortunately, I know a few immigrants who do this all the time.

12. Dylith

Dylith OT Supporter

That sounds really rough. Sorry to hear that things turned out that way. As you said though, unemployment is down so now is a good time to be looking for work I suppose.

I wish you well in your search!

13. nebulous

nebulous all it took was a blow to the head OT Supporter

No I think that explanation is very good. I would accept that :)

14. wetwillie

wetwillie New Member

Why did you leave a job you loved?? Was the money that much better?

Sorry it didn't work out for you. I would be pissed also but you never know, it might have worked out for you. I would encourage you to still push yourself to take on new things. Sometimes tho, it's better to just say no to certain opportunities.

There were times at my last job, I turned down promotions and/or reassignments because although I could do the job, it wasn't in line with my goals or what I was trying to accomplish in my life. Perhaps you don't have clear goals?? Perhaps you're still trying to figure out what you want to do when you grow up?

I dunno but I would suggest you spend time figuring out what you want to accomplish in your life and/or what kind of career you want to have. Once you're clear on that, it's easy to evaluate other job opportunities. You simply ask, does this move me closer to my goal or not. If yes, jump, if not...sit tight.

Anyways, good luck finding another job. Stay positive and you'll land another job very soon. Don't wait to start looking.