should firefox be using 79000 k of memory with 4 tabs not minimized ?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mr Bruce Wayne, Jul 5, 2006.

1. is this too much ???? if so how can i reduce the amount of memory it uses ?

kinda sounds like a hit load to me

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

firefox has a documented memory leak. it has existed as long as firefox and they STILL have not fixed it, afaik. Opera is the solution.

3. is opera free ?? does it use tabs ?

4. GunboatDiplomat

GunboatDiplomat New Member

Opera is free and it has tabs, so if you can't stand memory leaks (and this is a perfectly reasonable position to take), then Opera is your solution...

5. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I have 16 tabs open in Firefox, some of them have alot of history - it's taking 192 MiB of virtual memory. These tabs include gmail and other non-novel pages. And I do have a few extensions installed.

I opened Opera and opened 4 tabs - google.com, msn.com, piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan, and yahoo.com - none of them have any history. Opera is using 174 MiB of virtual memory.

http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/crap/memoryoperaff.png

I am using a pre-beta version of Firefox 2.0 though (BonEcho) (mostly-default settings, I didn't touch anything to do with cache/memory usage - all that cache stuff is on), but I don't know if it has any improvements on the memory usage end of things.

79 Mb with 4 tabs open strikes me as efficient, it pwnz Opera anyhow (which is why I doubt it...) - unless you mean 700,000 Kb?

Some people do have some very serious problems with Firefox's memory usage, often because of problematic extensions, see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions

All this said, Opera is generally quite efficient with memory. I see now it's usage has gone down - to 145 MiB (it's been idle for a while).

Firefox has never been too bad with memory in my experience (but I don't look at it that much since I've got 256 Mb RAM and Linux manages it very well. I'd worry more about Xorg-air and compiz which appear to be using 870 MiB of virtual memory (they're alpha-alpha stuff and they definetly have leaks) before I'd worry about firefox.).

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  6. from ur comparison in the first two paragraphs, arent you saying that firefox is superior in memory usage ratio wise juding from 16tabs and 4tabs ?

7. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

for those few minutes which did happen firefox kicked opera's ass in the numbers game.

(I've updated and restarted FF and with 4 tabs open (one's gmail) as I post this FF is using 154 MiB)

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

You're an idiot. I've had my Opera open for about 2 days straight, I average 8-10 tabs, easily... And this is *exactly* how my browser was when I came into the thread:

[​IMG]

9. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

firefox using a ton of memory for caching their webpages, so you can go back/forward in history quicker. granted it isn't greatest solution and it uses a lot of RAM, but it really isn't a memory leak, just how it was programmed

10. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Oh right.

Do you think I edited those screenshots or something? I can get very similar numbers again.

Anyhow, I already said Opera's memory usuage is generally pretty good, but SOMETIMES it jumps pretty high, even with few tabs open. Everytime I watch Opera's memory usage it's moving, high and low and low and low and high and high and low and low and low.

I opened 4 tabs like I described and I got those numbers, you better believe it.

And wow, 57,000 K with 21 tabs open - that I would love to know how to reproduce (cripple it disabling bfcache etc etc?). I left Opera idle for a while with 4 tabs and it's using 72 MiB (earlier it was well over a hundred).

It's an odd game isn't it? ;)

Anyhow, if firefox "leaks" so much memory, WHY DO I HAVE TO TRY SO HARD TO BRING IT OVER 200 MiB? The first 180 MiB is easy, but then it gets really tough. I can open lots of SHIT and it's memory usage goes DOWN!

Like I said, it's an odd fucking game.

11. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

its becuase it was programmed to liberally use the ram that you aren't using but to drop its ram usage if you start using more with other apps

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Save your breath. This is a fanboy fight, not a reasonable discussion.

13. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

The whole "firefox leaks memory the whole time" is bullshit.
    And the whole "opera NEVER uses more than 70/100/150 Mb ram with a few tabs opened" is bullshit.

Reasonable discussion over.

14. dew

dew Banned

if opera had alt+s then id use it.

15. DarqueGT

DarqueGT New Member

depending on what i'm doing - i use 100mb in firefox with ONE tab.....