MMA Should Evan Tanner be inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Sammo, Sep 10, 2008.

?

Hall of Fame

1. Yes

60.6%
  2. No

39.4%
  1. Sammo

Sammo New Member

Keep in mind that Evan Tanner was in the UFC for a very long time (about 17 fights by my count) and was MW champion for awhile.

I think he should be, if guys like Dan Severn are then I don't see why Tanner shouldn't be :hs:

Here is some online petition (which holds no clout unless it gets a few million signatures, online petitions are usually crap)
    http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/evantanner

2. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

MW champion for 4 months, no title defenses.

3. Sammo

Sammo New Member

yes, he lost his first defense to Rich Franklin but he fought so many times in the organization...

4. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

You said he was MW champion for a while. I was just saying that I don't consider that a while at all. Was not saying he didn't fight a lot in the org.

5. Sammo

Sammo New Member

He was MW champion for at least a couple months, as in time had passed while he was the retainer of the title of being MW champion

6. roose

roose Guest

Anyone who votes no should be banned from life.

7. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

This is obviously just because he died. He seems like he was a cool guy, won a few fights in the UFC, etc. But I don't think "was the first high-profile UFC fighter to die" is hall of fame-worthy.

No hate to him at all, I just don't think dying tragically makes him hall of fame material. It's not like he was a major force in the UFC or helped shape it or anything.

8. roose

roose Guest

:rolleyes:

He had 17 fights in the octagon and went 11-6.

He fought some of the biggest names in the sport and was a force at the time.

9. Joe_Cool

:eek3:

He beat a bunch of guys who didn't accomplish anything. He won the title by beating a guy who got lucky against Lindland and has fought exactly one fight since. He lost against every major fighter he faced.

He had a decent run, he won a few fights, and was one of the better 2nd-tier fighters. That's it. He was never a major force in MMA.

10. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

its more of a guilty "oh you died so we'll throw you in the hall of fame"

11. Joe_Cool

That's certainly how it looks to me. I'm really sorry the guy died. I enjoyed watching him fight. I was cheering for him against Kendall Grove. But he wasn't a hall of famer.

12. roose

roose Guest

Considering some of the other people in the hall of fame (Shamrock, Severn, Coleman) were beating a bunch of guys that weren't accomplishing shit either, your argument is invalid.

Tanner helped carry the sport, people tuned in to watch him.

13. Joe_Cool

Shamrock, Severn, and Coleman were major influences on the UFC. And they were champions multiple times and defended their belts. Not to mention fighting in historic fights.

14. Joe_Cool

2 weeks ago you clowns weren't pushing for a Hall of Fame bid for Tanner. The fact that you're doing it today is proof that it's ONLY because he died.

15. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

dot

dot dot

He most likely wil be inducted into the HoF but if he were alive that would be a totally different story.

When i think early UFC and first heard of ufc

the names i heard were Shamrock, severn, coleman, Mir, gracie, for a short list

I havent watched it aslong as alot of you have but tanner wasnt one of the names that rings a bell

16. acidix

acidix Ua mau, ke ea o ka `aina, i ka pono

I knew this hate-train was coming into the station. It is only natural that people want to do things to remember people who have died, I'm sorry if the Joe_cool extreme meritocracy demands that nobody ever be remembered fondly after they die, unless they cured cancer or founded the nation.

The fact of the matter is this guy is a pretty large part of UFC history. When you ask people to name famous UFC fighters, he'd be on that list. Especially among the hard-core. He was a very popular fighter and if some people want to remember him as such, who are you to shit all over their parade? If someone's grandma dies and they put a big picture of her up on their wall, they're only doing it because she died, but she did mean something to them, you don't have to get on their backs that they didn't do it before.

17. Joe_Cool

I don't hate him at all, idiot. I admire the guy, and I think it's tragic that he died, especially so young. That doesn't make him a hall of famer. Remember him as fondly as you like. I was fond of him too (as much as you can be for an athlete that you've never actually met, anyway). That doesn't mean he was one of the most important fighters in the UFC.

Yeah, today he would. Just like the Patriots suddenly had millions of hardcore fans after they got to be about 10-0. And then nobody gave a shit about them again after they lost in the Superbowl.

Put a picture of him on your wall, nobody is stopping you. The fact remains that he wasn't important enough in the UFC to be in the hall of fame, and dying tragically doesn't change that.

18. HandgunFantasy

HandgunFantasy My purity you stole.

im going with no, and i actually really liked evan tanner. he was a guy i always cheered for and never knew why. but his mark on the sport is perhaps not hall of fame worthy.

19. Joe_Cool

Agreed, 100%. I liked him too. :dunno:

20. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

people talked about him about things he did after he left the sport more than they ever did when he was fighting.

21. Joe_Cool

I will concede that at 11, he's top 10 for number of UFC wins. Almost all of them were against nobodies, though.

22. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

holy shit I agree with Joe_Cool

23. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Like the UFC hall of fame is such a big fucking deal.

24. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

i know, i hate doing it. :wtc:

25. roose

roose Guest

One thing is for certain: if Joe_Cool died he wouldn't get in the cage hall of fame.