GUN Shotshell reloading, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by The Cable Guy, Sep 8, 2008.

1. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Would it be cheaper to reload shotshells or just to buy them?

Specifically 00buck and slugs.

2. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Everything I've read about shotshell reloading says "no."

It only seems to make sense for oddball loads in the less-popular calibers. The market has 12ga covered to the point that the reloader can't compete. 16ga is similarly covered to a lesser extent. It's the other less-common gauges that the reloader can make a difference in such as 8ga, 20ga, and .410 .

3. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Like all reloading for common calibers nowadays, maybe. If you buy in bulk you can save some money. Reloading shotshell is fairly easy and strait forward. Just have to use good hulls like AA's. The components are bulky so it takes a lot of room for storage.

Like all reloading I do not recommend people reload to get cheaper ammo. You should reload to get better ammo.

With 12 guage I don't know if it's worth it. I would just buy my 00 and slugs by the case to get the better price. Midwayusa regularly has the wolf reduced recoil slugs (wolf slugs are good, unlike wolf pistol and rifle ammo). At the local gun shows (CA) you can get the winchester ranger reduced recoil by the case for decent price (my favorite).

For the 00 I get it from my cop friends. They buy it at the police academy.

4. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

I used Wolf slugs once at an indoor range. That stuff leaves a lot of residue in my barrel. I used Federal and S&B slugs over the weekend as well as other loads with little residue besides the gunk that was left over from shooting wolf.