A&P shots of Girls w/ Guns

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ///Mik3, Jul 30, 2008.

1. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

What's the deal w/ them???

99.9% of the time that i'm looking through a "model's" online profile or portfolio, and find that she's done shots posing w/ a gun or guns, i automatically discredit them and don't even waste my time on them.

Am i the only one?

I mean it's not even that i have a thing against guns. For some reason it's just the whole "sexy chick w/ a gun" image that really just annoys the shit out of me, to the point that i never take the model (nor the photographer) seriously.

Also on that same note, that stupid squating w/ one leg out to the side pose. That stupid pose has the exact same effect on me. Why the hell do so many "models" and "photographers" do that stupid pose?? :bash:

aaaaand.... /rant

2. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

CA. I understand.

3. PUREVIL

PUREVIL More Money Than Brains Croo

Maybe they want/need a badass image so they can show their range of modeling??? :dunno

In my experience chicks love to go shooting though.... I love taking new girls and showing them how to shoot responsibly and safely, chicks dig guns most of the time, unless they are treehugging hippies that dont shave their pits, pubes, and legs.

4. Spurious

Spurious New Member

I agree with the "easy" shot of a hot chick in camo with a AR15 with the leg out, but honestly those shots never look interesting anyway, very snapshotty, it's like calling a box of cake mix art. But I would discredit the photographer, not the girl. All she does is look hot for anyone with the cash or a cd burner, she's not going to show up and leave a paid gig for artistic integrity's sake.

I do, find guns and other weapons to be interesting and valid props when you're using them in interesting ways, but that's true of anything. One of my favorite shots was a harshly lit Walther PPK and a set of Bugatti keys on a bedside table in sharp focus with a nude girl with rim lighting on the bed soft enough to make it PG-13 but still very enticing.

5. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  6. ballz

ballz Two of 'em OT Supporter

and LOL

7. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

lol

8. Enigma

Enigma New Member

I agree, those shots can be kinda annoying. Especially when you can tell by looking at how they are holding the gun if they actually like guns or if they are doing it for the 'sexy' factor (which doesn't exist, to me anyway). I see tons of shots of girls in studio holding ARs or pistols with their finger all over the trigger. That is probably my main complaint. If they are holding the gun like they know wtf they are doing that is somewhat cool.. otherwise, it's fail.jpg.

9. kristin

kristin my dog > *

Different people like different things :dunno: Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean someone who's willing to pay her a lot of money to use the image or something like it won't like it.

10. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

uh... from the looks of it, you're from CA also. But that's irrelevant anyway, cause i'm far from any type of "gun hating hippy." I don't care for them much, but i'm definitely not standing on the street corner yelling "guns kill people!"

I'm just annoyed by how stupidly cheesy and cliche/overused the idea has become. "yeah, let's get a hot chick, and make her hold a gun. It'll be SO COOOL!!!11!!"

Well if a girl finds that one of those types of shots are actually worthy enough for her to post in her portfolio, then that's sort of the reason i would discredit her. "These pictures of me with a gun are so cooool!"

and yes, creativity is the key to breaking a stupid cliche. The shot you describe does have a gun and does have a girl, but is very different in concept and execution. That doesn't sound like something i'd be annoyed by. I'm talking more about the blatant "hot chick + gun = win" type shots

ohh you hurt me... you hurt me so... :wtc:

:rofl: god that shit is hilariously annoying

Yeah, it is all subjective and up to personal opinion. That's why in my post, i'm stating mine and asking "am i the only one?"

11. kristin

kristin my dog > *

:cool:

12. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

i've grown up with guns, been shooting and hunting all my life, and i find photos like the linked one dumb as hell. girls with guns can be done right, but a girl in a swimsuit holding an assault rifle in a fashion that shows she's never pulled a trigger before isn't the right way to do it. they also shouldn't be done in traditional studio, you need an environment to tell a story.

13. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

:h5:

14. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

I searched through a lot of them before I chose that one. I chose it mainly because the logo is equally hideous.

:rofl:

15. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

:commiefornia:

16. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

right, because that's exactly why i find those images annoying... :slap:

I've already stated, it has nothing to do w/ my view on guns. The idea is WAAAAYYYYY overdone, and almost always done poorly.

17. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

yes it is, along w/ a terribly generic company name :ugh2:

18. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I don't know where you're getting your models from, but I have maybe run into those pics once out of looking through over 100 portfolios.