A&P Shots I have taken that I like. V.Hippyasked...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jared_IRL, Jul 28, 2007.

1. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Hippy,

Here are some shots i've taken that I like. No particular subject, no theme, some technical, some just that I 'like'...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thoughts?

I'm not sensitive.

(edit - couple are old, and they're pelfed... I just don't have PP'ed versions made for internets...)

2. Hippy

Hippy New Member

thanks.

3. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

thats it??

no comments?

come on.

4. Hippy

Hippy New Member

no i dont want to start another flame fest

5. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

critisism /= flame fest.

6. Hippy

Hippy New Member

well ive done the same for this one..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/jaredirl/kittah.jpg

not only is the lighting flat, the shadows are clipped, no catch lights in the eyes, and the composition is lacking. next time try to get the cat doing something interesting, and try to make sure you capture a reflection in his/her eyes. catchlights are imo very important for most portraits and most shots of animals.

The one sunset picture has very nice colors but the focus is not there.

The colors are very warm in the hockey mask picture, but u might have been going for that. not really a personal fan of split lighting, but its easy and it does show depth. it also could use a background light to provide seperation all along the right.

the dog picture is poorly framed. you cropped of his feet and the pulls my eye away from the subject. the extra space on the right is also not adding anything to the composition.

the sky is way blown out (u cant even see the clouds that are relfected in the water), but i do like the subject matter.

i do like the frog and rainforest pics though. esp the rainforest one. i do wonder how it would look if the camera was lowered about 2 feet and slid right about the same distance. what focal length lens did you use for it?

7. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

The rainforest ones were actually Ireland, in January of 01. I took them with a Canon AL-1, and I can't remember what lens was on it.

If you were specifically referring to the 2nd waterfall pic, I had a teeny, tiny tripod resting on a rock in the middle of the river. It was painfully cold, windy, and maybe even raining. I had to stabilize it to get the water moving, and that rock seemed like the perfect location.

I think that might be my fav. shot I ever took.

So I have absolutely NO idea what settings... Kinda pisses me off.

I completely agree with your assessment on a lot of them.

The bright sunset was set to infinity, as I thought it would be cool to focus on the horizon. Would have been much better if the water was in focus.

The dog shot is hilarious except for her fucking feet. It draws my eye away too. But I LOVE her facial experssion. I specifically meant that one when I said 'ones I like' Because I know the feet kill any real potential...

I also agree with your eval. of the other sunset pic. I have a few shots that are 1-3 stops lighter, and you lose that color. I could fix it in PS, but I remember the sunset exactly like you see it, and it was fucking amazing. I could barely see 3 feet in front of me, but those blues... So I left it.

The cat shot is another one that I just 'like'... The cat's expression is exactly it's personality. Blank, dark, and sinister. You will never know that cat is around, til it slices your arm open. I swear to god it's possessed. Good thing it's not mine. But the lack of reflection and solid black shadows lend it to the personality, if you've ever met it.

I have a bunch of other good ones, that some like better, others don't, but they're either not PP'ed for web, or shot on film, or I was too lazy to post em.

But I think this is a good sample....

8. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

i love the first pic.

9. FidizzyTypeS

FidizzyTypeS Gimme Dem Scones!! OT Supporter

jared your photos are dope......nice work

10. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

11. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

ditch the cat shot.

[​IMG]
    chopped her feet off :( but the horizon is Pelf approved.