"shotgunning" modems.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by lowfat, Apr 22, 2004.

1. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

I will be moving in with a friend next fall. And we want to try shotgunning our internet connection (one ip for straight uploading and the other for downloading). But we cant find much for modems that can do this, or software. Does anyone know of any software that could help with this. or if not, an actual modem we could buy?

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Dialup or cable/dsl?

3. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Hmm, I didn't think shotgunning was a hardware requirement. I've shotgunned with my 28.8, 36.6, 56k int/ext winmodems and hardware modems before with just the win98/nt/2k feature. What I think needs to be supported is on the ISP side. They have to support shotgunning too.

4. SPHS_Alumni

SPHS_Alumni Guest

The only thing I can think of similar to what you're thinking about is 3Com's Parallel Tasking NIC's. You can install two, one for downstream and one for upstream. Unless you had some kind of load balancer you could put before the modem you could do it; the load balancer would balance the load among the two modems, but I don't know why you would want to do such a thing unless both modems are capped at 3mbps and lower, in that case the load balancer would help. Otherwise it's not possible via software.

5. denmen

denmen Guest

Diamond Multimedia used to do a shotgun product on their 56k range, they've stopped making them now and diamond has even stopped trading but you might be able to get a pair second hand... need two phone lines and a supporting ISP though.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Well you could also multi plex modems as well - I did that at work when I got bored. You could have like 4 modems dialing into 4 other modems and combine the speed. I never thought it was all that good though - high priced option if you ask me.