GUN Shotgun recommendations - Benelli SuperNova vs. Remington 870

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by HSTexan, Sep 30, 2009.

1. HSTexan

HSTexan Active Member

So right now I'm kind of torn between two guns I'm looking at for my primary hunting gun. It will be used primarily for dove and duck...maybe I'd shoot some clays every now and then, but I doubt it.

I've shot a few 870's before and never had too much of an issue with them. One did have an issue feeding shells into the chamber, but I worked through it. I have heard that quality control on them has been lacking lately. But I've also heard an 870 is an 870 and it is hard to go wrong.

Other gun I recently started looking at a bit was a Benelli SuperNova. I've heard a lot of great things in my searches about them and I like a few things. First I like the safety is actually forward on the trigger guard instead of behind. Second I find the push button shell stop to be in interesting feature. Sure it doesn't take that long to empty 3 rounds out of the tube, but it would be nice sometimes to be able to just push it and rack it to clear the chamber with rounds still in the tube. Also I believe the Benelli comes with an improved cylinder, modified and full choke whereas the 870 only comes with their "over-decoys" choke.

Both can shoot 2 3/4"-3 1/2" shells. Any benefits to one over the other? Has 870 QC really been slacking as of late? Also, what barrel length would you recommend? The SuperNova comes in 26" and 28", but I've heard the 26" swings the same as the 28" 870.

For reference these are the two I'm looking at:

870:
    http://www.remington.com/products/f...l_870_express_super_magnum_waterfowl_camo.asp

SuperNova:
    http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_supernova.php

2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Honestly you probably could not go wrong with either. The 870 will be easier to get parts, and has a larger aftermarket. If you get that camo 870 you'd be ok. On the inexpensive 870 express (the 18" home defense oriented shotguns) the parkerization or whatever they are using is questionable. I got the rust spots to show for it from shooting in the rain. Not something you want on a hunting gun. Again I never heard of it on the camo finish.

Talking about fit and finish the benelli's are real solid. I mean it's a benelli. I just don't like the looks of the nova, I prefer the classic lines of the 870. Another pump shotgun I like is the browning camp defender or whatever they call it nowadays. The lifter is in the up position when the bolt is closed so it is easier to load shells without tweaking your thumb. You can tell the hard core shotgun guys because they are missing or got a mangeled thumb nail.

3. SoonDubu

SoonDubu The most honest moment in a man's life is the five OT Supporter

4. Scold

Scold OT Supporter

If you are going to get a benelli, just get a nova and not a super nova. The only difference is that the nova doesn't come with the comfertech stock and it doesn't have the oversized trigger guard, but it is about $100 less.

I like the 870 personally, and the reason is, is that in the future if you want to convert it to a tactical gun and get an auto for hunting, you will have 902834902480293ty different parts at your disposal.

5. HSTexan

HSTexan Active Member

6. SoonDubu

i also have an 870, and finding parts like an extra barrel, rails, stock pads, etc... are MUCH cheaper

it's practically modular

7. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (SAMSUNG-SGH-A737/UCGI3 SHP/VPP/R5 NetFront/3.4 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.0 configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

id get the 870, but im a bit of a remington whore.

8. cantankerously

cantankerously Active Member

26" Supernova or Nova

Although i'd probably rather get a Stoeger for the auto action.

9. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

benelli

unless you want to do a bunch of modifications

then the 870

10. SoonDubu

but the comfort stock is comfortable

[​IMG]

11. SoonDubu

but i'm selling my supernova and keeping the 870

:rofl:

12. nox

nox I'm actually ok looking... so chill.

A castle nestled in a valley next to a waterfall
    I've got a 26" Nova and I love it.

13. 90free400e

90free400e New Member

When I was looking for a shotgun, I tried both out. The thing that turned me off about the Nova was the "toy" feel to it. It felt all plastic to me. That may not matter to you but it did to me and thats why I ended up with an 870. The only thing I regret about the 870 is not getting the supermag that can accept 3.5 in shells. I'd try out both and see what you like. Thats the only way you can make a decision youll be happy with.

14. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i've shot (don't own) a beneeli supernova and i loved it. it felt great

i own an 870 and it's pretty much the AK47 of shotguns, you can do anything to the damn thing and it just works. mine is old as hell and has been on a ton of hunting trips etc and hasn't always been treated to well especially when i was young and the damn thing still works pretty well, i had to do 1 minor repair to it recently and aside from cleaning that's all that i've ever done, 1 failed part in almost 20+ years of heavy use and abuse in the beginning lol when i was 12 or so i didn't exactly treat it too well :)

benelli is more sexy but the 870 is a damn workhorse

15. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

870 is a tank and the Benelli feels like a toy.

16. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

just know that if you do with a 3.5" chamber you have a much longer pump stroke. It definately feels longer and is easier to short stroke. Again as far as pumps go you probably could go either way 870, nova, or browning.

17. SoonDubu

i just don't see myself shooting a 3.5in shell

i'll just shoot the standard 7.5 shots - 25 for $5 :)

hey yar, i got the easy loader done for the 1187 by dave :bowdown:

i didn't realize what you're talking about until i saw that button for myself and was :ugh:

that thing makes a big difference

18. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

yes it's a must have