GUN Shotgun Question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by spooney, Apr 26, 2003.

1. spooney

spooney WTF Sony?

What is a good shotgun for home defense? I was leaning towards some sort of pump action 20 gauge. Anyone have any pointers when looking?

2. tailgate

tailgate Whats with today, today?

well if you want it for home defense, might look into one that that has a pistol grip and a short barrel. The one i have (mosseberg i think) that has interchangable barrels (short and long) and interchangable grip/stock.

3. Count Grishnackh

Count Grishnackh Three weeds from the same root

dont get a pistol grip unless you wanna kill your wrists, instead get this:

[​IMG]

#50665 590® 12 ga. Pump Action 9-shot capacity, parkerized finish, bead sight, 20" cylinder bore barrel with heat shield and Speed-Feed® stock

4. Count Grishnackh

and if you got more money, go for a Benelli

5. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

oh jesus. the only reason i can see to own a benelli is so you never encounter a short-stroke in the heat of things. lord knows you're not going to be clear-headed, and you just may short stroke it, even if you cock it all the way, you may not get it all the way back to chamber the next round. that's the primary reason police depts. went to benellis and the likes.

otherwise, it's just a waste of money, because for the grand that you blow on it, you could have so many other things. but, what you choose for home defense is a different discussion. one that will never end.

500's and 590's are nice, if you learn to use them WELL. learn to pump with the recoil, and how to effectively implement the thing, and you're set.

learn to use a pump well

6. Count Grishnackh

if i ever buy a benelli its gonna be a show off piece :o

7. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

The better defensive loads are in 12ga, so that'd be a better choice over 20ga.

The Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500 series are the main options here. You ought to be able to find a basic 18" or 20" barrel model for less than $300 and it'll outlive you with just a bit of care.

8. -RUNNR

-RUNNR Insanely truthful

My home defense shotgun is a Mossberg 590 with floding stock/pistol grip rear. Works great.

9. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Remington 870 or Mossberg 500

I love my shotgun :love:

10. Sideways

Sideways Do I look like I give a damn?

don't waste money on a Benelli... don't get me wrong, they are awesome shotguns, but $1000 for a shotgun is fucking NUTS.

Instead... you can pick up a Stoeger. They are basically Benelli shotguns made in Turkey, other then where they are made, they are the exact same shotgun as Benalli. I paid $400 for my Stoeger 2000 brand new, it included the various choke tubes and compared to the similar Benalli, you couldn't telled them part. Their build quality was exact, they felt exactly the same, you couldn't tell a difference in the weight.

[​IMG]

It's already mentioned... but the Mossberg 500 is a great pump action 12 guage. It comes with both the long target barrel and a shot range CQ barrel. Plus it's dirt cheap.

[​IMG]

11. spooney

spooney WTF Sony?

Wow I had forgotten I had asked this...:O I had been looking at a Remington 870. But I hadn't heard anything about Mossberg 500's, I will look into those. I would prefer the 20ga because I most likely will be living near someone, I don't want buckshot rounds going through the wall and killing the 10yo next door. Thanks for all your comments.

12. footratfunkface

the don't use buck. you can get 12 ga. birdshot, but it's pointless for home defense. you might as well just throw porcupines at the guy. fucks up birds, but birds !=people.

13. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

My hunter safety teacher told us one of the best shotguns for home defense was a .410, especially if you have kids in the house. Using some #4 or #6 shot it won't go through walls but will kill someone at close enough range. Sounds good in theory but since most .410s are single shots nowadays it seems rather stupid.

14. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Breaching shotguns usually use #4 or smaller shot, and it will handily kill a person at under 50ft.

15. footratfunkface

yeah, but #4 only has a maximum of 10" of penetration. not enough to maximize the damage. and breaching shotguns aren't the best thing to use against people, because of the recoil out of the tiny barrels with tiny grips they often use. they usually carry them on a sling that they can just throw over their back.

16. eof

eof New Member

nah dude....you got it all wrong...you just poke a hole in around the bottom put it up to your lips....crack the top and chug... :bigthumb:
    [​IMG]