GUN Shotgun question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by IllusionalKinght, Sep 24, 2002.

1. So I'm looking into my first gun. I want a shotgun which can be used for home defense. I was looking at the Remington model 870. Any comments/suggestions? Would a handgun be a better choice?

2. el gayvo

el gayvo Active Member

I've got 2 870's in the house... good guns. We use them to hunt bird. they would work for home defense but they wouldn't be my first choice. I'd rather have a handgun for home defense, personally. But if you want a shotgun, I'd look into mossberg.

3. nordaim

nordaim Guest

Pick up a Mossberg 500 or the Remington 870.

I have the 500, my roommate has the 870. Both are incredibly reliable shotguns for the money. They are the ultimate workhorses of the shotgun world.

I have the 500 with a Pistol grip, no stock, and it a dream to shoot and handles nicely. The reduced length makes it handle better in a home defense/urban arena.

Handguns are nice (own and use several), but the sound of a 12guage cycling tells most people that they are in for some serious trouble. It is one of the most distinct and terrifying things to hear if you are not the one holding it. If you do it nice and loud (fast and hard) you can hear it throughout a house in the still of the night and it should readily clear anyone from your premises who are not supposed to be there.

4. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

The purpose of a handgun in home defense is to allow you to be armed while you are en route to your shotgun.

Either the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 would be excellent, economical choices. i would lean a little more towards the Rem 870 though only for the very slightly greater availability of aftermarket accessories.

Tying into that, i feel a tactical light attached to the weapon is a must have, particularly in home defense where you have to be 110% sure of just who you're shooting at.

5. So, taking all these comments in, I've decided on the Remington 870. So, what would a decent ammo be? I heard there is certain shells which you can buy which will not penetrate walls. Is this true? Would they still stop a crackhead?

6. Bdog

Bdog ...but do I really care?

I have Federal Tatical low recoil #4's in my Mossberg 590 A1 shotgun. Haven't had to shoot anybody with them yet, but they are mild to shoot in 12ga. In my BlackHawk bandoleer I have 10- 3" slugs and 20- 00buck and 20- #4's. That sould do it. Oh yea, I have an M6 Streamlight mounted under the barrel.

7. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

my best friend recently bought a 500A (i believe that's the model) used for $150. but what's really great is that he got a wood full stock, a polymer folding stock, a really nice soft case, the 18" barrel, and a 16" barrel. he didn't take the 16" barrel, just because it's illegal, but he still got a deal.

8. footratfunkface

damn my double posting. i don't even know how it happened.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2002
  9. Double post, roxor....Well, anyone know anywhere to order accessories (lights, etc.) for the Remington. Anyone got an info page for the Mossberg?

10. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog.htm

www.brownells.com is usually one good source for any sort of parts/accessories, but the site is a little awkward to navigate.

www.ajaxgrips.com has a fair price of $190 for the Rem 870 Surefire light fore end. Replaces the whole fore end stock with one that has a bright Surefire lamp built in. Very slick way of adding white light.

www.botachtactical.com has the same light for a even more reasonable $165, but their customer service is pretty inept, and if you web order, you'll never be informed if your item is backordered, etc. i still order from them sometimes, but only over the phone so they can tell me, in broken English, if the item is in stock.

11. nordaim

nordaim Guest

I would recommend using a #4 or #6 birdshot for in the house. They pattern nicely, have excellent stopping power at the hosuehold ranges we are talking about, and a very reduced risk of penetrating interior walls.

My personal preference for household loads is to go with #4 all the way through, but have the last round I will chamber (first in the magazine) to be a 00, just in case.

12. GunShow

GunShow You had best unfuck yourself

Since no one has mentioned it im going to have to reccomend a Benelli Super 90. Its certainly expensive as far as shotguns go but in my opinion it is the best shotgun in the world in terms of reliability, and rate of fire.

http://www.benelliusa.com/m1_tactical/

13. I have a 870 that is a goverment/police issue. I love that shotgun, it's probably my fave. I normally fire 00 buck...

I'm actually saving some $ up for a Benelli, I shot my friends, and all I can say is WOW!....

For Protection... well my 9mm Glock with Black Talons works quite nicely. Although that clip NEVER gets fired due to the fact that I've only got about 500 9mm Black Talon rounds left and you can't get them ANYWHERES....

14. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

get a mossburg 500 cruiser, pistol grip, 8 shot mag, heatsheild, all for $200 (according to a 2001 issue of shotgun news)

15. spyder007

spyder007 Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

Just leave your MP5 or AR lying around, the best choice in home defense :o

I have 2 870's as well. I like them, both are good guns, and I've never had a problem with either. But, with my more advance firearms training, I personally feel more comfortable using a pistol.

16. footratfunkface

i like both the 870 and the 500, but the real deciding factor for me is that when you hit the pump release on the 500, you don't have to take your finger out of the trigger guard. on the 870, you must use your index finger to reach it, which takes it too far away from the trigger for me. you can use your middle finger on the 500. other than that, yeah, they're both good. the 500 is a little less expensive, but the 870 has more goodies available.