GUN Shotgun Question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RyeLou, Apr 10, 2005.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Well I went trap shooting today with my brother and Dad. My brother has a 12 gauge 28" semi auto, my dad has a 12 gauge 28" pump and I have an 18 1/2 inch 20 gauge pump:sadwavey: It was the first time I've been trap shooting, so consider that...but the results were as follows
    round one (brother/dad/me)
    18/14/9
    round two (brother/dad/me)
    18/18/8

I figured I just sucked because I was new and didn't know what I was doing. All for round 3 my Dad asked if I wanted to switch with him, so I did.
    round three (brother/dad/me)
    22/17/4

So I improved by about 10 hits. All of these numbers are out of 25. In my Dads defense for when he used my gun, he wasn't using target load, but just the stuff you get for like $15 at Walmart, haha. Anyhow...I was tied with my brother after 10 shots in the third round. That son of a bitch looked at me after 15 shots and smirked when we told each other scores (I was down 1). Needless to say, I need a new gun. I did enjoy shooting, but I can't let my brother get the best of me like that. Onto the question. He has a Remington 1100 I believe. I didn't shoot his, but my Dads gun is an old Winchester 870 I believe. Neither are specific to sporting clays or anything like that. What gun do you guys suggest I look into? I'm considering a Winchester Super X2 Magnum 3". Is it worth it to get the 3 1/2" for another $100 or so? The 3" is $719 when all is said and done. I don't really want to spend that much, but I might because odds are the shotgun will be around for the rest of my life anyhow.

I really like the Winchester Super X2 SIgnature II, with the red and black, but I can't find anyone who has it. And I think it would be close to $1000 if not a little over as well. So it might be too much.

Cliffs: Brother gave me a "look" during trap shooting and I need a new gun for it.

2. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

If you're just going to be shooting trap or whatever you don't need a 3 1/2", they're more for waterfowl, deer, turkey, etc. Actually the Super X2 Magnum is aimed more at hunters anyway so again, you probably don't need that either. Why not consider a wingmaster like this one or even the classic trap model seen here. Besides, you dont NEED an automatic to shoot trap or anything, no sense in spending more for one.

3. Furner

Furner New Member

you are going to get much better results with the lighest load you can get. right now i shoot 7/8oz 2-3/4" loads. i have them dialed down so i hardly feel the recoil, and it still cycles my beretta AL391. Of course the 20oz of barrel and stock weight i added help alot too.
    but i have noticed a difference by using lighter loads, and a tighter choke.

edit: if you are using a pump gun you can have even more choice in how light your loads are, since you dont have to worry about cycling the action.

4. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

i'd be all for a pump. thats all i shot today and thats fine with me. if i were to do skeet i think it would be fun to try it with having to cycle through in the middle of it. the only thing about shotguns is i don't like wood on them. the one i have is all synthetic, and thats the main reason i like the X2 Sporting Clays Signature series, is because they have the anodized red look.

edit: actually the 870 wingmaster is the one my Dad has. he hasn't cleaned it in years and it jammed up on him once when he went to pump it, but he said he didn't do it hard enough and it didn't go in all the way (user error). he pulled the unused round out in like 2 minutes and continued shooting without any more problems.