GUN Shotgun (pump) suggestions?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by boostdemon, Sep 28, 2008.

1. boostdemon

boostdemon New Member

I've been looking around for an affordable pump shotgun for home protection and the occasional clay popping. low maintenance is important, loud pump action is important...

I've been looking at the Mossberg Model 500 Persuader which is under $300. Thoughts?
    http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/NEW/50411.jpg

2. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

No, you need a reliable shotgun... pump action sound is not what's going to protect you.

Remington 870
    Mossberg 500

Both good choices, WMD sackrides the 870 a lot more.

3. boostdemon

boostdemon New Member

cool, let me check out the Remington too.

Reliability is key yes, but my thoughts would be most theives/intruders will bolt or freeze (shit pants) at a surprising loud "cha-chunk" from the darkness. right?

4. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

What if said thief/intruder has a gun or other weapon themselves? What if they're cracked out on drugs? What if they just don't care? What if, what if, what if...

You're getting a gun to protect yourself should the time arise, don't screw around and just think racking a shotgun will solve the problem. You may very well need to use force to stop the threat... don't rely on a sound.

Don't use birdshot or rubber slugs either.

5. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

On a side note, what if there are other people in the other rooms of the house? Slugs and 00buck go through drywall and wood quite easily.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyyYxYFvwfE

Bird shot may not have the stopping power, but it will definitely incapacitate someone at indoor ranges. Personally, I have 00buck in my sidesaddles, but I don't think birdshot is to be overlooked if you have thin walls with other inhabitants. I would suggest a smaller buckshot, like #4buck or something.

6. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

bird shot is for birds. it significantly lacks penetration to inflict terminal damage.

7. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Personally, if I was in a house uninvited, and someone shot me with birdshot and I was still able to move, I'd get the fuck out of there.

8. pimpofthenation

pimpofthenation OT Supporter

probably shooting back, as you ran off. So while the homeowner just spared your life with the birdshot, you took the lives of his kids/wife/dog/him/etc when you dumped 15 rounds back through the house.

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

To use birdshot in a self defense situation would be pretty stupid. All your going to do is make the bad guy very ugly, and very pissed off. I would not gamble my life or the lives of my loved ones with it. I would definately recommend some reduced recoil 00 buckshot or slugs depending on your situation. Slugs are more for people who worry about 4 legged critters such as bear. I know as I lived in Montana for a while and bears have been known to break into houses and kill people. That's another story.

I would also definately recommend the reminton 870 over the mossberg. I dislike the mossberg because it is not as well made and I really dislike the location of the safety. I could go on about the mosberg but then all the guys that bought mossbergs to save $50 over a 870 would get all butt hurt.

A alternative shotgun that I really like is the browning pump shotguns. They have a very interesting shell lifter that locks up and out of the way so you don't tweak your thumb loading shells. Traditional shell lifters are like a chinese finger trap. You know the serious shotgun dudes because they have no thumb nail or a chewed up thumbnail on one hand from all the shotgun reloading. (exagerating but not by much)

10. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

:ugh:

To quote myself from another board:

I've never understood why people say the 'racking' sound is going to scare people off. Yea, it might, but if I've got a weapon whose sole purpose is defense, it's going to be loaded to the max with ammunition, which includes one in the chamber, Condition 0 or most likely Condition 1. Loading the chamber takes vital time you might not have, not to mention giving away your position.

If you break into my house, you'll get no 'racking' warning from me. Just a slug to the head/chest/both.

11. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Norinco Ultra 87 for $149 :dunno:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. sp00n155

sp00n155 You underestimate the insignificance of my penis OT Supporter

everyone please stop racking their shotguns, I've pooped my pants 12 times today already.

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

It will not. You realize that people get holes shot all the way through them with much larger and keep attacking right?

I'd just get a really loud stereo and play that racking noise over some dolby 5.2 theater setup. The whole neighborhood will soil their beds but you'll be safe.

14. sp00n155

sp00n155 You underestimate the insignificance of my penis OT Supporter

well that certainly explains why the .22 caliber bullet is the leading killer in the United States.

15. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D060; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

The .22LR is the #1 killer because of the staggeringly high number of guns in that caliber...

16. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

First I'm not sure the relevance to .22 to shotgun rounds, can you elaborate?

I'd also like to point out that lethality isn't what we're looking for, what want to stop an attacker before he hurts us. Someone dying in an OR or a hospital bed 3 days later is lethal but doesn't help us.

And finally, I'd ask you to cite your source because I doubt that actually is true, although its certainly gets around as much as this shotgun racking or not having to aim a shotgun business story.

Addendum finally: If you think a .22 is in anyway a reasonable defense caliber you're just dumb :rofl:

17. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

You realize there's a lot more variables at play here, right?

18. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i'm glad you realize my point. you now have a man who will probably sue you.

19. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

agree on all points

20. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3_2.htm

21. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Such a suckup... form your own opinion. :riaa:

:mamoru:

22. boostdemon

boostdemon New Member

wouldnt you prefer to scare someone off rather than kill them? :dunno:

i dunno how many theives show up armed so i cant say, but if they're not i dont want to go about the legal process if I killed someone just because they were rummaging around in my garage ya know?

now if it is a truely life threating situation, which is a very small % of break-ins you're right... i wont be thinking twice about providing a warning.

23. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

You have no way of knowing what their intentions are. You have no way of knowing if they have weapons.

It's wise to neutralize the threat, which is not necessarily killing the perp.

24. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Is it worth the chance to you?

Racking will do 2 things.

1) Let the perp know you are armed. That right there will make them more likely to attack/shoot/kill you if they are armed.
    2) Let them know your approximate location. Do you want them to know where you are in your own home?

Personally, if someone is in my home and I don't know their intentions, the first sound they hear will hopefully be the last.

25. boostdemon

boostdemon New Member

well unless the perp is physically threatening me after i have warned him, I cannot shoot. if there are multiple perps, i can only shoot the one that is threatening me (e.g. if one has a knife and starts coming at me)

Texas is a little more wild than the rest of the country... iirc when i live in austin it was pretty much you can shoot anyone on your property, just not in the back.