GUN Shotgun or Long range rifle, that is the ?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Immortal1, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

So, I currently own a Ruger 10/22 and an M1 Garand. My next purchase is either going to be a shotty like the Mossberg 500, Remy 870, or some Benelli, although I can't really find to much pricing on those. Dicks Sporting Goods around me carries them but Dicks doesn't list guns on their site, hmmm.

OR

I'm looking at the Savage 10FLP, lefty model. I read good shit about it on here and various other sites. It's cheaper than the Remy 700 and capable of equal if not better groups.

I know the Savage with scope, stock, rings, will set me back much more than the shotty but I'm willing to save up

My main question on the shotty, having never shot one, is whether or not 12 gauge will be too much for me to handle. I can handle the M1 Garands .30-06 recoil but I dunno if that compares to the power of a 12 ga.

Thanks for the advice, flames, or what have you

2. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

12ga recoil is nothing. i've gone through 150 shells at one sitting at the range without any problems. the recoil from your garand is probably more.

3. Painkiller

Painkiller Sometimes remembering is better than forgetting

You didn't say what kind of shotgun you wanted. defense? sporting?

4. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

thanks, Dsking, thats reassuring. I might just buy the shotty for instant gratifcation seeing as how the savage would take me a few months to build up nice.

pics for good measure:

Savage with Barska scope:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

Painkiller, I assume the defense shottys have a shorter barrel. I don't plan on using it for defense but I would like the shorter barrel.

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've got a mossy 590 and a savage 110, the savage is alot funner to shoot IMO. I dont shoot clays or hunt with a shotgun, if your into those things then maybe the shotgun is better choice.

7. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

u DO realize a .30-06 is a long range rifle right...get the shotgun...find a remington 870 police for a good price and leave it under ur bed :o

8. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

I know that the M1 is long range but its not exactly a tack driver @ 600 or even 300 yards using milsurp ammo.

9. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

When I'm shooting with my Mossy 500, I can go through a couple hundred shells while shooting skeet. I use a 28" barrell for that with a small shot(#8 or so).

Buuut... I also have an 18.5" barrell for HD. I usually shoot 00 Buck with that. The shorter barrell and bigger shot definitely add a whole lot of recoil that is not a lot of fun to shoot repeatedly.

So, if you plan on shooting skeet or something with a lighter shot, then it's not too bad. It all depends...

10. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Whichever you would rather have would be fine. Any reasonable sized adult, like 100 pounds or more can handle a 12ga fine, especially with trap loads or low recoil loads. I think most people that talk about what enormous kick it has just don't know how to hold a shotgun.

11. Painkiller

Most people suggest pump shotguns for defense, sporting, but I'll suggest a auto instead. They are more money, but you what you pay for.

12. PUREVIL

PUREVIL More Money Than Brains Croo

I believe every true gun owner should have at least one pump action 12ga. after all its the most versatile gun and they are cheap.

Remington 870 Marine Magnum with accessories.

[​IMG]

13. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

Plus gas operated auto shotguns have low recoil.

14. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

Purevil, that thing looks mean! So I'm talking to the hunting guy at Dick's and he seemed somewhat knowledgable in terms of shotguns. He said the 12gauge shotty's would be to much after 20 or so rounds. He said @ 240 pounds they kick his ass eventually. I'm only 160. I imagine he must have been shooting some highpower rounds. He was a big guy.

So moving on he showed me some 20 gauge models. They felt relatively the same as the 12ga models. One thing I did notice about all the shotty's I handled, Rem870,Mossberg Persuader, Harrington and Richardson Pardner, and a couple others, was that they feel really light.

Now, I was searchin around online and noticed the wide variety of ammo you can use in these shotguns. As far as 12ga goes you can purchase lower recoil ammo and such. Do you guys recommend a certain type/size of ammo that won't leave me feeling numb after 10 shots?

15. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

honestly the only thing that will kick your ass after 20 rounds would be either 3/3.5" magnums and slugs. If you can't handle 20 rounds of 12 gauge 1 ounce low brass you should probably find a new hobby or atleast a new place to shop since the guy you talked to is a moron.

16. Painkiller

20 rounds?! thats not even a full box of ammo. that guys a big pussy!

17. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Fired my Garand maybe 75 rounds one day, and had a bruise for 3 or 4 days.

Used my 870 for about 100 shell, and didnt feel a thing.

I myself wouldnt want to be without a shotgun.

18. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

bingo! thanks. what ammo were you using in the 870?

19. itchiban

itchiban New Member

I haven't bruised from shooting in years. Last time at the range = 60 rounds through the mosin and 40 - 2 3/4 12ga target loads, toss in some .223 and 7.62x39 and I was still up for more.

I'm 155 pounds, the guy you talked with was retarded.

20. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Remington 2 3/4" Sport loads

21. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

The guy at bestbuy might tell you that with the new pentium 4 you can download the internet to your computer's cache for blazing fast surfing too. But they're both full of crap :)

Seriously a 100 pound girl could shoot a 12ga without trouble as long as you hold it right. Lean into the gun, get the stock into the shoulder pocket, and hold it firmly against you. If you don't put the stock in right or don't keep it pulled to your body it might hurt. You'll be able to run through rounds til you're broke if you follow the rules though. If you have a range or some friends locally rent or try one and you'll see what I mean. For basic fooling around stuff look for stuff labeled something like "field & target" or something like that. Its cheap, inside the shell its just small birdshot and its easy to shoot. Low recoil buck and slugs are a little harder, but sure not much.

22. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

20ga is for women, children, and limpwristed sausage smokers. go 12.

23. Keesh

Keesh New Member

12ga is nothing. I can shoot it all day and not feel a thing. Defintly go with 12ga over 20ga.

24. PUREVIL

PUREVIL More Money Than Brains Croo

I agree with everyone here... 12ga or go home.

I shoot mostly 3in 1oz slugs, sometimes 2 3/4inch 1oz slugs depending on what the RO has for sale. Anyone who says it doesn't kick is full of shit. I've gotten used to it but its not a 22. LOL

If you bought a 20ga you will be dissapointed. And again I think everyone should have at least one pump action shotty. Make it a remington so you dont have to buy another one in the future :big grin:

25. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

This is me... [​IMG]

I'm about 140-145, 5'4"ish:)hs:)... I went through about 200 shells that day with no problem.

As it's been said before, the guy at the counter is retarded.