GUN shotgun guru's checkin

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by thisgsx, Sep 29, 2006.

1. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

So tell me about the Remington 870. I know there are different versions like the Express, Magnum Express, Police, etc....but what do they mean? Is there any difference between them? The shotgun will be purchased for home defense. Im assuming all the 870's are modable?.

2. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

with a name like persuader, who needs the 870. mossberg>*

ibremycrewchimesin

3. terrist

terrist Cowboy President > All other World Leaders

The express is the basic field model with a 26 or 28 barrel. The express super magnum can fire the 3 1/2in magnum shells. The Police and Home Defence versions have shorter barrels and are more ideal for home defense.
    The Marine Magnum is nickel plated to whitstand corrosion on water.Parts are mostly interchangable on all model 870s

4. Cool~Breeze

Cool~Breeze New Member

I am interested in a mossberg. Someone posted one advertised for $219 and it was the home defense one that came with two barrels and was all black but I cannot seem to find them for that cheap around here. Anyone?

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think that one was in an Ad from Big 5 we dont have those here, Dicks is the only sporting goods store here and there prices usually aren't so hot, sometimes you can get a good deal at wally world or even kmart, some of the local gun shops sell the mossberg in home defense config(18.5-20" barrel, p grip, extension tube) for about $180-190.

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:werd: I think mossy's are a better buy for the money, Persuader works good for home defense but the 590 > * nothing beats having a bayonet on your shotty too.

7. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Ok. So the my guess is, is that I cant go wrong with either the mossberg or the Remington.

8. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

I fired the 590 the other day, we were shooting skeet. Besides the heatshield, bayo lug, and ghost sights, is anything upgraded? Like the action, extractor, trigger, etc?

For skeet purposes the ghost sight was an an annoyance and I preferred my 500 with bead sights. Is it true that thing glows at night? If so I suppose in a home defense situation it would be nice.

Overall though, it'd be hard for me to spend the extra money($150ish?) on the 590 and still having to get the bayonet too.

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

To elaborate more the police model differs over the express in that its parkerized instead of blued, has an aluminum trigger guard instead of plastic, doesn't require any mods to take a mag extension, has a couple pounds heavier trigger, and is often found with a pistol grip stock and shorter foreend that would allow installation of a 6 shell carrier. Is it worth the price increase over the express version? I'm not so sure, I got a good deal on a used police.

10. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

You can't go wrong with either a Mossy or a Remmington. I have an 870P Police Park'd model with a 18" barrel and ghost rings. Those Big5 deals are a good way to go if you're on a budget.

11. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Theres 2 different 590 variations, I believe the one with a heavier barrel and no heat shield has different internals. The other has just the differences you mentioned.

12. Cool~Breeze

Cool~Breeze New Member

:eek3:Thats it?:x:

13. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

You're talking about the 590A1, it also has a metal trigger guard and safety as compared to plastic on other mossbergs.

14. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

The 590, 590A and 590DA

All have heat shield, extended tube, beefed up and polished internals, bayonet lug, heavier barrel. The DA though has a DA pistol style trigger. Blued and park'd versions throughout the line. the 590 comes standard with bead sights with ghostrings optional, the 590A comes with ghost rings standard with bead sights optional a little beefier barrel and stronger triggerguard to follow military requirements. The 590 tube is open on the end but also is a 9 round tube.

Is the 590 worth the price over the 500? Guess it all depends on what you will use it for. I have two, a park'd 590A and Sssnake's new 590 (which I am trying to sell off) and wouldn't go with anything else but then I used it for duty work.

15. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Sweet. Thats basically all Im waiting for, Big5 sales.

16. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

The one thing I really hate about mossbergs is the plastic trigger guard, I don't trust them at all. My friend broke the trigger guard off his CVA muzzleloader by putting the rear rest behind the guard and when it pulled the trigger it snapped :mamoru: (of course this was a CVA and they don't exactly reek of quality).

17. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

well i have also read stories of police getting into a scuffle with a suspect and denting their aluminum trigger guard to the point where it got in the way of the trigger and rendered the gun inoperable.

the plastic trigger guard in that case would have snapped and easily broken away leaving you with a perfectly operable shotgun, just a little less safe.

things to think about i suppose...

18. Furner

Furner New Member

19. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Never had one break or even crack and I've beaten the hell out of mine.

20. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Pics of Snake's 590?

21. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

22. Furner

Furner New Member

mossys are nice, but if put a pistol grip on the, that safety is fun to get to. i tried it at a fun shop, and it just wasnt as natural as a cross-bolt safety.
    not that i would really care about a safety on a shotgun anyways.

23. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Pretty sweet. Is there any difference other than size between 2 3/4" and 3" chamber?

24. terrist

terrist Cowboy President > All other World Leaders

with a 3 inch chamber you can fire the longer 3 inch "magnum" shell.
    Although they will fit, do not try to fire magnum shells in a shotgun intended for 2 3/4".

25. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

School me on the 3" magnum shell. Is it worth it to go for a 3" chamber? Any pros, cons? Is that 870 tactical shotgun posted in the link above worth the $700? What is the difference between that shotgun and other 870's that are selling for half that price?