GUN Shotgun crew... need advice

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by MrSlappyPants, Aug 9, 2006.

1. MrSlappyPants

MrSlappyPants New Member

Ok, let me start by saying I'm completely new to shotguns. Never owned one. Only fired a couple in my life, and don't even know what they were. I am NOT new to firearms in general though (I have my CCW and a few pistols).

I've decided I'm going to take my hunter safety course this year, and start deer hunting. I have never hunted either, but all my in-laws do and like to take hunting trips, hunting weekends, etc... that they would like me to go on with them and I think I would enjoy it. So, I would like to go out and get a shotgun, but need some advice on what to get. Everywhere I read people are set in Remington 870s, and mossberg 500s... but these seem to be all the typical "home defense shotgun" threads. I'm just having some difficulty finding topics directed at shotgun reviews FOR HUNTING. Granted, I will keep the gun in my room, and would use it if the need arose, but I'm thinking primarily for hunting. Would either of those choices still be good for hunting? What options should I be looking for? Another thing worth mentioning is that I'm cross eye dominant (right handed, left eye dominant) so I need to have a gun with a stock that will still be comfortable to shoot. What price range am I looking at for a decent gun here? I guess any and all info and advice you more experienced guys could provide would be great. Thanks! :bigthumb:

2. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

The 870s and 500s will work perfectly. I have 18.5" and 28" barrels for my Mossy 500, the 18.5" will obviously be no good for hunting. I haven't gone hunting with my Mossy yet, but I see no reason why the 28" wouldn't work. I'm not going to be deer hunting when I go, so I'm not sure what kind of shot you'd need(slug vs. buckshot).

3. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

4. MrSlappyPants

MrSlappyPants New Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I went out and got my new shotgun last night. I ended up going to about 4 or 5 stores to see what they all had in stock and compare prices. I liked the 535 combo that "7" pointed out, but no one had them in stock. However, after looking over some specs with a salesman, I came to find out that there is a 500 combo with a cantilever on the slugster barrel... which the 535 series does not (the 535 has rifle sights on their barrel, and a tapped receiver, but not available with a cantilever). So after shopping around a bit more, I found a 500 combo that I liked, but the price seemed a bit high (like 70-100 higher than what I had been looking at elsewhere). It was like 10 minutes before store closing, but I figured I'd just ask the salesman about the price on it and why it was so high, or if they pricematch. Well he comes over and starts saying how it's not high, and I shoot back with the other prices I've seen. He says to hold on and goes to grab the gun to look at. Turns out, at the other stores I was looking at the base models with nothing, and this one was the trophy grade, with a much nicer finish, and an upgrade package including recoil cheek pad (which is nice being cross-eye dominant and having to shoot with my face on the stock), rings and a bushnell scope (mind you, the gun's info tag on the shelf wasn't labeled with any of this info). After a couple minutes of shooting the breeze with him, I tell him, well I know you guys are closing and don't want to be a hassle, so I'll let you go, and maybe I'll be back tomorrow, because I know it takes awhile to do the paperwork and whatnot.. He tells me it's no hassle, and that if I want it, he'll match my gun center's base model price for this one! I think I cut him off mid sentence with "DONE". SO here's what I got:
    Mossberg 500 combo (Trophy Grade)
    28in vent ribbed barrel (Full, Mod, IC choke tubes) w/white bead sight
    24in fully rifled slugster barrel w/cantilever
    Bushnell 3-9x40 sportsman scope
    Rings
    2 interchangeable recoil cheek pads

for $319. So I'd say I made out pretty well. My only complaint for the night came during the paperwork portion of the purchase. Apparently NY state in all of their wisdom decided as of June 1, 2006, that my CCW permit is no longer valid as a firearm "purchasing pass." In other words, they are now required to call in ALL firearm purchases regardless of permit. Before, you could walk in, buy gun (of any kind), show permit, walk out. Not anymore. And here's the kicker... apparently, they can choose to deny you, or put a hold/wait on your purchase for any reason they feel like... even with the permit. I was "proceeded" and able to walk out with my gun last night... but still... c'mon NYS... no grandfathering?? where are my rights?!?! This gets me so irritated... but I guess I should save that for another thread. All in all, I feel I made out quite well last night, and can't wait to start putting some through her. :bigthumb:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  5. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

niceee price. get some pics

6. MrSlappyPants

MrSlappyPants New Member

Hopefully I will take some tonight. I'll post 'em up as soon as possible.

7. Gimik

Gimik New Member

sounds great. get an 18" barrel for home defense!