GUN Shotgun advice

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by phlashkill, Jul 10, 2008.

1. phlashkill

phlashkill New Member

Winchester Super X2

I am currently in the market for a new shotgun. I have been looking at autoloaders for the action. I would prefer to have a shotgun capable of shooting 2 3/4 up to 3 1/2 shells. i know that this can cause some problems cycling rounds with some autoloaders with the smaller shells.

I have came across a Winchester Super X2 mag locally. It is a used gun, but is in very good condition. it is being sold for $650.

Does anyone have any experience with this gun? (I have not found any bad reviews on it)
    Is the price reasonable? (seems to be from what i have found online)

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  2. phlashkill

phlashkill New Member

3. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Very heavy gun. I prefer the benelli

4. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

benelli m4 :o

5. phlashkill

phlashkill New Member

well most of the benellis are out of my price range.
    This SX2 is local and somewhat affordable.
    I also didnt feel it was that heavy.

So if anyone has any information on the SX2 that would be great

6. Initial E

Initial E New Member

I havent fondled a Winchester SX2 but I've shot a FN SLP, and from what I understand they are made at the same plant and from the same materials. Just under the FN name/brand.

IMO it's not heavy. It's one of the faster semi auto's I've shot. Deffinately faster than the bennellis and berettas.

I'm not sure how much those things go for new, but a new FN SLP 18" goes for 650-700. And the SX2 is the old model since the newer SX3 came out.

I'd givem 450, 500 if it's mint at most since it's used. :dunno:

7. phlashkill

phlashkill New Member

well when i had looked at the prices i could find on the gun it seemed to be very representative of the other prices. and while this is used it is not in bad shape. looks like it had very little use.

but then this is the magnum so it should be a little more than some of the other SX2s.

8. Initial E

Initial E New Member

it's probably the same. It should have two different gas valve(s)/ settings.
    One for 2.75" shells and one for 3-3.5" heavy loads and buckshot.

It's a good gun. If you want a new gun. I'd buy the FN SLP from Ray Tanner at Tanner Sports in PA. No one will be able to beat his price. His price was 200 bux lower than what my gunshop could get it for cost.

9. phlashkill

phlashkill New Member

well thats a little bit far away from the middle of Missouri.
    I did look at that FN but the Winchester looks better to me on a purely aesthetic level.

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I shoot a lot of 3 gun and benelli's and remingtons are the fastest. If there was something faster we would be using them. One guy is running a berretta and it has potential

11. bursty

bursty New Member

ZCP M3 has two X2's. Bought a new one for $650 and a slightly used one for $450. I've shot it a few times and it was pretty nice. I'm sure he'll post up later.

12. WiseOne

WiseOne roter Teufel

came here to post that :o

13. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Like Bursty said, I have a Super X2 Sporting signature, bought my brother a Super X2 Sporting and frequently shoot my father's Benelli M2 Field. Here is my two cents...

I paid $440 for my SX2 Sign. Sport. that had been used for 200rds as a promotion from a gunstore and promptly put in a safe. This is the one with the red DuraTouch wood stocks. The NIB SX2 Sport. that I bought my brother was $640 locally. Same gun but just the standard matte walnut stocks. The M2 Field was bought at Cabela's for $1079 NIB.

Weight: The Benelli is the obvious winner as it is recoil operated and the SX2 is gas operated. However, the SX2 is by no means a tremendously heavy gun. I find it very easy to swing quickly.

Speed: Both will shoot the shells as quickly as you can pull the trigger. If you want to get down to the minute details, the Super X3 is the current record holder and it uses the same gas and reloading system as the SX2.

Recoil: With light loads, the SX2 recoils less than the Benelli but it isn't a tremendous difference. HOWEVER, I shot a light #9 field load and a heavier #6 game load back to back in both guns. The difference in recoil with the SX2 was noticeable. The difference in recoil in the Benelli M2 was SIGNIFICANT. Fucker kicks like a mule and this was with 2.75" shells. I'd hate to try it with 3.5" magnums.

As anyone will tell you, the Benelli's are SERIOUS guns. I pick my dad's up and shoot with it whenever I get the chance. They are light and easy to acquire targets with, fire fast for quick follow up shots, durable and simple. The only real drawback is the added recoil if you're gonna use it for anything more than shooting clay. I don't know if the Benelli Super Black Eagle II (3.5" version of the M2 Field) will cycle light 2.75" loads as well as 3.5" magnums.

Now that the due praise has been given to the Benelli, I can't find a better value than a SX2 Sporting. It won't shoot 3.5" shells, but it comes with two gas pistons so it will cycle EVERYTHING in the 2.75-3" range. (I suspect you can pick up the optional light piston for the SX2 Magnum as well.) The Sporting also comes with 5 chokes from full to skeet, same as the Benellis. I am truly happy with mine and it is definitely one of the best gas operated guns on the market. The only advantage of the SX3 would be that they shaved some more weight off of the gun. Whether that's worth an extra $250 is up to you. They don't offer the light gas piston with any of the SX3's though, so take that for what its worth as well.

Cliffs: Benelli M2/SBE2 is one of the best guns on the market. The SX2 is 85-90% the gun for 40-60% of the price.

14. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

15. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Additional info:

I don't think there is a gun on the market that can handle the heaviest 3.5" shells as well as cycle the lightest 3/4 and 7/8oz 2.75" loads without changing parts like a gas piston or recoil spring. If there is, it's news to me.

The Winchester SX2/SX3, Browning Silver/Gold, and the FN SLP use the EXACT same gas operating system. The differences lie in the loading systems and other misc. parts.

The weights for the SX2, SX3, M2, and SBE2 in 12ga/28" are the following:
    SX2 - 7.75lbs
    SX3 - 7lbs
    M2 - 7.2lbs
    SBE2 - 7.3lbs

16. phlashkill

phlashkill New Member

would the SX2 magnum have much difficulty in cycling 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 shells?

i would probably rarely use a 3 1/2 ( just like having the option)
    mostly would use 2 3/4 because i target shoot the most.

also why would the gun be $650 here and you picked one up for $440? Would the magnum cost that much more even used?

17. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

I have no experience with the 3.5" version of the SX2, but the info on the SX3 is as follows: The 3" version will shoot down to 7/8oz 2.75" shells and the 3.5" will shoot down to 1oz 2.75" loads. Keep in mind the SX3 and your SX2 Magnum will only come with the "heavy load" valve for the gas system. If you can manage to pick up the "light load" valve (has a red ring in the base) it should have no issues at all.

The SX2 Magnum 3.5" verison does carry a premium. There is a 98% condition used one in 12ga/26" with synthetic stocks on Gunbroker for $500 though.

18. phlashkill

phlashkill New Member

i am guessing that "light load" valve should be available throughout the internet.

also i just noticed that we are both from st louis

19. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Yup, current SLU student! :wavey:

20. phlashkill

phlashkill New Member

I am down at Mizzou.

21. phlashkill

phlashkill New Member

well it looks like i will be going to buy that SX2 tomorrow. Taking a friend of mine to double check it. he said he was going to make sure the bolt, piston, and barrel are all in good shape.
    anything else i should look at or look for?

22. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Check the foregrip for cracks and fitment and make sure the barrel locks up tight into the receiver. That's the only other things I can recommend. Good luck!

23. cantankerously

cantankerously Active Member

I'd much rather have a used Benelli SBE for that money.