GUN Shot policeman was 'pretending to flee'

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Jun 10, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

June 10, 2008
    Shot policeman was 'pretending to flee'
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4102313.ece

A police officer blasted to death with a shotgun by a colleague was playing the role of a criminal fleeing in a car, it emerged today.

Pc Ian Terry was blasted in the chest from a high-powered gun as armed officers went through a drill to practise the dangerous tactic of stopping fleeing armed criminals. The 32-year-old was rushed to North Manchester General Hospital after the incident, around 11.30am yesterday, but doctors could not save his life.

He had been shot during the exercise at a disused warehouse in Newton Heath, north Manchester, being used by officers to practise firearms exercises.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) has now taken over the investigation of the incident and said Pc Terry died after being struck by a single shot discharged from a shotgun carried by a colleague.

An IPCC spokesman said that officers were using “special munitions” designed to stop vehicles, but would not say what type of bullet him Pc Terry. Some reports suggested that he was blasted by a cartridge containing CS gas.

The ’hard-stop’ exercises police practise involves officers blasting a CS canister into suspects' cars to disable the occupants and other officers pulling alongside to shoot out the wheels.

Pc Terry, of Burnley, Lancashire, had been a firearms officer with Greater Manchester Police since 2002 after joining the police force in 1997. His devastated wife and family were too upset to speak of their grief today.

Dave Whatton, acting Chief Constable of Greater Manchester Police said, “This was a tragic incident and our thoughts are with Ian’s family and friends. He was a well-respected officer and will be sadly missed.”

After the shooting, police forensic experts descended on the warehouse, known locally as the Sharp building. They concentrated on four cars parked two behind two and taped off from the rest of the goods yard this afternoon.

One of the cars, a grey Citroen Xsara, had its front passenger window smashed, with glass on the ground below it. The driver's door was open as was the driver’s door of the Suzuki Vitara car parked in front. A bullet-proof jacket, oxygen mask, police helmets and a yellow jacket were on the ground nearby.

Leon Willis, 26, was working at a plumbing supplies shop across the road from the site. He said: "I think it is really dangerous if the police were using such a busy area to practise firearms training. This is a busy area. Surely the police could find some safe, purpose-built site out in the country?"

Among those paying tribute to Pc Terry yesterday was Jacqui Smith, the Home Secretary. She told the Commons: “The whole House will be saddened to learn of the tragic death today of a police officer during a training exercise with Greater Manchester Police. This demonstrates the dangers that police officers face on our behalf.”

Naseem Malik, IPCC commissioner for the North West, decided an independent investigation should be conducted. He said: “My sympathies go out to the family and friends of the man who died. This must have been a very traumatic experience also for all the officers involved in the exercise. I will ensure a thorough investigation is conducted to determine the full circumstances of the incident.”

===

Shitty situation.

2. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Super Troopers re-enactment?

3. Shiva Chaos

Shiva Chaos i see boobies!

blasted is such a strong word

4. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Whoever wrote this article is fucking HORRIBLE. It looks like it was written by some high school drop out.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:werd: I thought the choice of that word was a bit odd.

6. i69UrMOM

i69UrMOM New Member

:werd:

It must be the guy from Hot Fuzz

7. springy101

springy101 When god comes and calls me to his kingdom, I'll t

If its just an exercise why the hell would you shoot him in the chest, regardless of what your gun is loaded with? Or was this some miracle shot from a distance that just happened to hit him in the chest?

8. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

That sucks that he got shot but wtf. :hs:

9. Aladdin Sane

Aladdin Sane Guest

They need to use criminals for training........

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

criminals? cops? Only difference is the badge :mamoru:

a human is a human.

11. Aladdin Sane

Aladdin Sane Guest

except the cops have yet to do something illegal and got caught

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

even when they do something wrong, it's often swept aside.